Go Back   Trackpedia Discussion Forums > North American Tracks > Northeast United States Tracks > Watkins Glen

Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to JimLill Send a message via AIM to JimLill Send a message via MSN to JimLill Send a message via Skype™ to JimLill

Wife and I were there for a few hours yesterday, comments:

- a picture perfect weather day in the Finger Lakes

- WGI looked pretty good, but maybe some day they'll give us amateurs a decent false grid area

- The Paddock areas were not at capacity, so everyone was able to set up on asphalt

- too bad about Mark's loose bolt, a case for safety wire in key areas

- great hospitality from Mark & Brent, I'll let them post the picture
Old 06-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to JimLill Send a message via AIM to JimLill Send a message via MSN to JimLill Send a message via Skype™ to JimLill

Mark.. Brent...

Is there a "final report"?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Red Group

Guess I can start with my half of the final report for the Late-Brake race team, Or in my case "Early-Break". You all know the outcome from my previous posts. I was only able to do a grand total of maybe 14 laps and never really got any true sense of rhythm for the track. It's fast, I was still way over slowing most of the corners, and probably taking them a gear too low until I broke. The Armco is daunting when you are used to running in wide open tracks with lots of runoff, but as Jim points out, should be looking at them anyway. But still, it's easy to see that even single car incidents will turn into multi car incidents in a hurry, as there is literally no where to go.

The area of New York were the track is located is absolutely beautiful. The rolling hills and lush greenery are fabulous, I can only imagine what it must be like in the fall with the trees at all full color. The weather was excellent, and drive out and back was most enjoyable.

We'll be back again next year schedule permitting to see if this half of the team can fair a little better. Thanks to Jim and his wife for making the trip out to see us, it was great to put a face to the screen name. Perhaps next year we can get Jim to stay a little longer, watch a little video and teach us rookies a few "tricks".

I won't steal Brent's thunder, he has his own stories to tell, and has pics to follow, so stay tuned.....

87 944 SP1 ("Emma")
Old 06-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Black Group

Wow....just wow. What a fantastic, scary, nuts out blast.

Got in Thursday afternoon and set up next to the Nordstern boys. Brad Lano and Dale were a hoot to hang out with as they had the Hilton on wheels and I brought the smoker along Friday we ate very well. Steak, smoked tuna, salmon, shrimp with all the fixings.

Mark was of course two seconds faster in the beginning so I figured it was going to be the typical fight for second place weekend. When he broke I figured we better show the East coast fellas that we could drive Rennpoints said my fast lap would be a 2:24 so that was my initial target. I hit sub 2:24 by the first race so was hoping to then get into the 2:23's which I did in the second race. Won both of those battling with a veteran Glen racer, Henry Hoeh, who was also the past PCA Zone 1 representative so he was the hometown favorite. Henry was great, told me all the places to work on time, I then used that to beat him. Just wish I could do that with Mark now

So ended in the 23's after the sprints and figured with a full belly, Isabella wasn't going to be running anywhere near those times. Well she surprised me and by the 5th or 6th lap of the race I turned a 2:22.7...just 0.2 off the WG lap record for an SP1! And this was with a full tank. So I figured I would get to the halfway point, keep the 10-15 second lead I had built up and go out with cool tires and get an even faster lap. On lap 14 disaster hit (see attached video) a faster E car was lapping in Turn 9 and lost it going through the corner. I had no where to go and Isabella got her nose dinged up. I have to parts to get her ready for Labor day at Road America and I think I'm getting a little more competitive too

If anyone ever gets the opportunity to run there, take it. The armco is certainly daunting at first but eventually you just ignore it and drive. Can't wait for next year!!

http://www.vimeo.com/12205752
1999 986 Boxster "Gracie" Soon to be SpecBoxster...well in a few years
2007 Chebby 3500 "Clifford"

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong
Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Black Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLill View Post
video is private...............
Should work now, just took 30 minutes to get vimeo to convert it. I'm too cheap to be a member!

Great seeing you there Jim, thanks for coming! I'll have the pics up tonight after I get them downloaded.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong
Old 06-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Administrator

as far as me staying longer.......... I getting bored when I am not behind the wheel!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Red Group

But Jim, my engine bay is VERY dirt and disorganized

87 944 SP1 ("Emma")
Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrepka View Post
But Jim, my engine bay is VERY dirt and disorganized
Sadly so............
Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Black Group

Mark, he only likes to organize HIS engine bay not yours

Old 06-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rocks View Post
Mark, he only likes to organize HIS engine bay not yours
I am willing to Consult.............