Go Back   Trackpedia Discussion Forums > Main Category > Car Technical, Setup Tips ,and Preparation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Conan's Avatar
Conan Conan is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,448
Send a message via AIM to Conan
Default Installing Lexan instead of glass?

Has anyone replaced the stock glass windows in their car with Lexan windows? If so, where did you purchase the Lexan window? Is it only available special order from certain places or can I get it from most autoglass specialists?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-24-2006, 02:20 PM
jstecher's Avatar
jstecher jstecher is offline
Lead foot Stecher
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,774
Default

I think most are custom formed from what I have seen for specific cars and normally at least with the Ferraris you have to find a race shop to do it for ya. You might have more luck with the Z however man being that there are a lot more people developing parts for it out there.

The other Z guys on the board might know as well...
__________________
John Stecher - New York City area
Cars: Current - Stohr F1000 Dead - Stohr 01D Gone - Ferrari 348, TransAm GTA

http://www.trackpedia.com
My Blog: http://www.trackpedia.com/blogs/john
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2006, 02:44 PM
billy's Avatar
billy billy is offline
FIA rated bubble wrap!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester MN
Posts: 5,607
Send a message via AIM to billy Send a message via MSN to billy Send a message via Skype™ to billy
Default Lexan

I hear that on a street car then this is a pain as you can't make em water tight so in the rain they leak. There was a thread on another BB discussing this very subject last week.
__________________
1986 Porsche 944 sp1 track whore.
Daily driver: 2010 VW GTi
Wifes car: 2009 Ford flex sel awd
iRacing: AMD Phenom BE 970 + HD6870 (5740x1080)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Conan's Avatar
Conan Conan is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,448
Send a message via AIM to Conan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstecher
I think most are custom formed from what I have seen for specific cars and normally at least with the Ferraris you have to find a race shop to do it for ya. You might have more luck with the Z however man being that there are a lot more people developing parts for it out there.

The other Z guys on the board might know as well...
Well, the reason I ask is because there's a carbon-fiber rear-hatch available for my car for (what seems) a reasonable price. They recommend using Lexan instead of glass, so that's why I'm asking. I'd like to estimate the cost of replacing glass with Lexan so I can include it in the overall cost. Some of us have to budget this stuff!

Last edited by Conan; 01-24-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Conan's Avatar
Conan Conan is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,448
Send a message via AIM to Conan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy
I hear that on a street car then this is a pain as you can't make em water tight so in the rain they leak. There was a thread on another BB discussing this very subject last week.
Ugh. Thanks for that info, Billy. Wonder what the diff is between sealing the glass and sealing the Lexan??
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2006, 07:28 PM
350ZNV's Avatar
350ZNV 350ZNV is offline
Yellow Group
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 121
Send a message via AIM to 350ZNV
Default

Hey Conan! I have a lexan rear window coming for my 350Z this weekend. For now I will be installing it in my stock hatch, but a carbon one is in my future. I have another buddy, Rick, who has a lexan rear in his carbon hatch. I haven't heard of him complain about any water leaks. If you are following my thread about my project you will see the results of the lexan rear window in a few weeks at most. Just let me know if you have any further questions.
__________________
2003 Nissan 350Z Coupe
JWT | VRT | Kognition | Motordyne | AP Racing | Stance | Cusco | Kinetix Racing | 350EVO | Nismo | Seibon | Corbeau
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2006, 09:40 PM
billy's Avatar
billy billy is offline
FIA rated bubble wrap!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester MN
Posts: 5,607
Send a message via AIM to billy Send a message via MSN to billy Send a message via Skype™ to billy
Default Afraid to ask

Mike
How much has that monster cost you at this point? Any numbers on it? bhp at wheels, weight etc?
__________________
1986 Porsche 944 sp1 track whore.
Daily driver: 2010 VW GTi
Wifes car: 2009 Ford flex sel awd
iRacing: AMD Phenom BE 970 + HD6870 (5740x1080)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Conan's Avatar
Conan Conan is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,448
Send a message via AIM to Conan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Hey Conan! I have a lexan rear window coming for my 350Z this weekend. For now I will be installing it in my stock hatch, but a carbon one is in my future. I have another buddy, Rick, who has a lexan rear in his carbon hatch. I haven't heard of him complain about any water leaks. If you are following my thread about my project you will see the results of the lexan rear window in a few weeks at most. Just let me know if you have any further questions.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm following pretty closely. Can't wait to hear about track times in that beast
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2006, 12:03 AM
350ZNV's Avatar
350ZNV 350ZNV is offline
Yellow Group
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 121
Send a message via AIM to 350ZNV
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy
Mike
How much has that monster cost you at this point? Any numbers on it? bhp at wheels, weight etc?
Thats all coming shortly. Just follow the thread about my buildup. Jim Wolf himself is going to tune it and dyno it tomorrow morning and then its on its way back up here to Vegas.
__________________
2003 Nissan 350Z Coupe
JWT | VRT | Kognition | Motordyne | AP Racing | Stance | Cusco | Kinetix Racing | 350EVO | Nismo | Seibon | Corbeau
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2006, 12:03 AM
350ZNV's Avatar
350ZNV 350ZNV is offline
Yellow Group
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 121
Send a message via AIM to 350ZNV
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
Thanks! Yeah, I'm following pretty closely. Can't wait to hear about track times in that beast
Me neither lol. Anyways I will let you know how the lexan turns out.
__________________
2003 Nissan 350Z Coupe
JWT | VRT | Kognition | Motordyne | AP Racing | Stance | Cusco | Kinetix Racing | 350EVO | Nismo | Seibon | Corbeau
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2006-2009 Trackpedia