Go Back   Trackpedia Discussion Forums > Track Days, AutoX and Racing > AutoX

Old 04-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Eric
Default Track Layouts for Autocross

It sounds like many of you either:
1. Started out in Autocross, and worked your way up to HPDE, Club racing or spec racing, or
2. Autocross on free weekends between track events.

Are there a set of standardized track layouts, or common track elements, that get used in Autocross Layout? Is there any guidance on this, or is it just up to the local club to fit a track for their facilities?

Thanks!!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Curmudgeon

the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) does have a book entitled something like design and layout of SOLO II courses. There are no strict limitations for courses except for top speeds and how close to objects you can come and how close together cones are for slaloms. Other tahn that it is pretty much using common sense.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:08 PM
At 10/10ths

Send a message via AIM to kbrew8991

the standard is there is no standard

track varies event to event, and no two are similar (usually). Its part of the challenge, the track is new and you have 3,4,5,? etc tries to be as fast as you can on it, not 6 x 30 minute sessions

Ken Brewer
1991 Toyota MR2 NA - time trialer retired to street car duty
1994 Toyota MR2 NA - former SSB car, building for NASA PT & SCCA IT
2010 Mazda RX8 R3 - gf's daily, SCCA C-Stock Autocross
Old 04-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Defender of the Porsche Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrew8991
the standard is there is no standard
So true. I am one of the lucky ones. We use an old military airstrip so we have lots of space and tons of runnoff room. And it's only 8 miles from my house! The courses we set up range from 1 mile to 1.2 miles long With both PCA (two regions) and BMWCCA we will almost always get 8 timed runs in. SCCA also uses the site and they do not get as many runs because they have a zillion classes and a zillion cars that show for an event. Our site has an event every Sat/Sun from April into early Nov. The owners of the site have requested that the max speed be kept to 65-70 mph. We have sometimes "exceeded" that by a bit. We are now required to check db on exhausts, but you can still be fairly loud and run.

I did my first event of the season last Sat w/ NCR/PCA. 1.1 mile course and no real places to get on the power. I drove like doo-doo but won my class because the competition was driving even worse. When NCR gets around to posting times I'll provide a link.

Eaawe or whatever he calls himself, actually his name is Kevin is running his Z w/ BMWCCA this Sun and I may go up a heckle him.

Kbrew, thanks for the opinion on the camber thread.
2003 Mini Cooper S
Old 11-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Green Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Are there a set of standardized track layouts, or common track elements, that get used in Autocross Layout? Is there any guidance on this, or is it just up to the local club to fit a track for their facilities?
Way late to the thread, but:

1) 2006 SCCA Solo Rules http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...solo_rules.pdf (see sections 1.3 and 2.1-2.2.)

2) Roger H. Johnson's awesome 121-page Solo Course Design manual: http://www.houscca.com/solo/courses/coursedesign.zip

Hope it helps,

Jon
Old 11-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome references!! Thank you very much for posting. I still hope to get one organized in the home town... problem is finding enough asphalt.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Rob.wisniewski Send a message via AIM to Rob.wisniewski Send a message via MSN to Rob.wisniewski

Awesome idea Eric.. let me know if you need help with legwork or something. )

1987 Porsche 924s : Race Prepped : Cheater Motor : One Seat : Two Balls -- "Awesome-o" CRASHED AND SOLD - but being resurrected
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i : 18" Alloys : Nav : 3000cc's of style -- "Hairdresser 1" SOLD

http://www.trackpedia.com
My Blog - http://www.trackpedia.com/blogs/rob
Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Defender of the Porsche Faith

Eric & Rob, also check with other car club regions...BMW, Audi, Miata, etc. Someone up your way has to have an AX series. I can't think of a better way to spend a summer weekend day (if not on track) than to AX. You do learn from AX'ing. In my case I'm still learning.

NER/PCA Class 10 champ
NCR/PCA class 10 champ
Zone 1 PCA (2 day event) finished 3rd in class
BMWCCA AX one event where I blew out my knee, nuff said.
2003 Mini Cooper S

Last edited by Lobo6; 11-13-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

There are regular AXs run in Winona and LaCrosse, about 70-80 miles away, and in Minneapolis, about 90 miles away. My old car wouldn't make it that far, hence my desire to have one locally. I'll likely hit some of the Winona/LaCrosse ones next year, I have a neighbor's son who attends.

I'd still like to get one in town, just to guage interest and see how far the motorsports community here extends.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Warpedcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
There are regular AXs ... in Minneapolis, about 90 miles away
I went to one AutoX at the Dakota County Technical College, its actually where cops learn to to police maneuvers... perfect for an autox, and only about 50 minutes from Rochester.

However, it was still kinda lame, sit there all day and only get 8 runs (aka about 8-10 minutes of driving) for $50 or so. The dollars-per-minute of track time is actually far worse at an Autox than any HPDE. I'm never gonna do any parking lot racing in the future, I'd much rather spend money doing BIR and RA and other nearby "real tracks".

SOLD: 2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M Black Sapphire - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course
DD and Track Toy: 2006 Volvo S60R AWD 6M Sonic Blue - CAI - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - SNOW FUN - My HD Trackday Videos
Racing Sims Rig:Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.9GHZ, AMD Radeon 7870, 8GB RAM DDR3, Logitech MOMO wheel and pedals