Go Back   Trackpedia Discussion Forums > Main Category > Car Technical, Setup Tips ,and Preparation

Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Green Group

Default Porsche Cup Car/GT3 Running Costs...what are we looking at?

Hello all, great forum. I've been a lurker for some time and I just decided to join so I could join in on the fun.

Here's my question(s)
I want to run a 996 GT3 or Cup Car for say, 12 times of serious to semi serious track time (a few club events, etc.) and I'm trying to create my budget.

—How much will tires DOT competition tires set me back per weekend? Will I go through two sets of tires if I'm driving 8/10ths?

—About how much fuel should I anticipate over a weekend (Fri and Sat, or Sat and Sun).

—How much were 996 Cup Cars when new?

Cheers everyone, I look forward to some help.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Skeen

I'm afraid most of the people here will not know the specifics of running a GT3 in competition. I would probably ask some of the PCA or Grand-Am teams that run a GT3: Tafel Racing, Farnbacher Loles (Leh Keen might see this thread), Synergy Racing, Doncaster Racing, TRG, etc. You can probably find some PCA teams from race results (you might even find some in your area you could speak to).

Are you looking to buy a car and run it yourself or rent a car?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Green Group

Thank you for your quick reply. While I'm not really going to get into competition really, I'm more looking for ballpark figures for a weekend of club events et al.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Yellow Group

Naught60, let me give you a link to a forum with more than plenty of guys who can give you what you are looking for. http://forums.rennlist.com

When you go there on the side menu click on the link that reads:Perf. & Comp.

Then click on Racing. Don't be intimidated. The guys on there are very knowledgeable and many have Cup cars. Maybe you already know of this forum but the info might be helpful to others as well.

Many of the guys there are club racers and instructors with a ton of experience and info they are very willing to share.

"The greatest discovery of our generation is that human beings can alter
their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. As you think, so shall you
be." William James
Old 06-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Official Trackpedia Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Stack Send a message via MSN to Stack

Naught60 ...

Welcome !!

Glad to have you with us and posting! I think the consumables issue will depend on how close your experience level is to the car's capabilities, and under what condition it will be driven.

Asphalt Ventures, LLC - Owner/Manager
Triangle Z Club / Tarheel Sports Car Club
-Event steward, registrar, all-around good guy
Old 06-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Defender of the Porsche Faith

There is a world of difference between runng a Cup Car and a GT3. A good friend calculated that it cost him about $1000.00 per hour to run his 996 Cup. He was rolling all expenses into that figure, including event fees, all comsumables, lodging, etc. Plus the 996 and 997 Cups will need to have their engines "freshened" after about 40 hours of running time.

Jesters 911 link to Rennlist is valuable.

Your tire wear will depend upon 1) What type of tire. 2) Your style of driving. 3) How well your suspension is set up. But even the most extreme Porsche drivers will get a weekend of DE out of a set of tires. I can get about 5 or 6 days from my Hoosiers, sometimes more. The Toyo RA1's are a bit slower but wear like rock and last a long time.

Welcome to the board.
2003 Mini Cooper S
Old 06-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Black Group

Lobo's on with this one. Although add in the fact that you'll be towing, need that additional equipment and consumables there and the bill climbs quickly.

Jim Bryant of APEX SPG is pretty good at calculating what a race weekend costs. This is based on him running up front in whatever class he's in. Jim Breakey just bought an 05 cup car and is just starting to see the cost difference between his "B" Car 996 to the cup car.

Jim Bryant worked up a quick budget for the Cup car based on Breakey's first outing and figures depending upon how far you have to tow, the cost approaches $20,000 per race weekend. Now before you need a nitro pill to get the heart started, remember this is to run up front but it's only a matter of time before the little red guy on your shoulder starts saying "hey if we are here, why are we content with running in the back?"

First question I'd ask is why a Cup Car or GT3 cup? You could probably find a 964 "Cup" car that requires a whole bunch less mechanical upkeep. The motor is close to stock and the chassis was purpose built. They run in their own class so there's no worry about who has the newest. The market is strong for these cars so they don't drop value and your not rebuilding the motor every season.

How's you mechanical ability? Are you going to do the mechanics stuff yourself? If not that $120/hour for a "nut and bolt" after every weekend would make me puke.

Gas at the track will be minimal compared to everything else a cup car takes.

What is your ultimate goal? HPDE's moving on to racing? If so, there are a lot better cars to "cut your teeth on"

Sorry for the questions, you may already have way more experience than I and have thought about all of this. I've toyed with the idea of doing this in two years and have come to the conclusion it's just not worth it. I have just as much fun running a potential 1:55 lap as I would running a potential 1:42 lap. And I know some of those guys aren't any better driver than I am. Most are mind you
1999 986 Boxster "Gracie" Soon to be SpecBoxster...well in a few years
2007 Chebby 3500 "Clifford"

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong