Go Back   Trackpedia Discussion Forums > Main Category > Introduce yourself and your car/bike

Old 11-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Green Group

Agreed on all counts, but '07 would be a throwaway season to get myself and the car up to speed anyhow.

My biggest concern with another E30 is the amount of money some people are getting for donor cars that don't need every single part replaced. Also the growing rarity of good parts cars for cheap. Basically I fear that the days of < $2000 donor cars and < $500 parts cars are coming to an end, thanks to the recent spike in E30 racecar popularity around the mid-atlantic... I've seen several good street cars change hands recently for $5k-$7k that were $3k-$4k cars just two or three years ago! Somebody please explain that to me.

Meanwhile, E36 325i/is models are a dime a dozen under $4k with parts cars from $500 to $2k depending upon what all is wrong with 'em. That means more supply and not as much demand, IMHO.

Plus, wrecking my E30 last summer has left me with a "been there done that" feeling. And I love my E36 M3. So it seems like an E36 non-M racecar would be somewhere in between, which sounds perfect.

We'll see; I'm in no hurry, and I certainly wouldn't turn down the right E30 for the right price!

Jon
Old 11-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Skeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfast View Post
We'll see; I'm in no hurry, and I certainly wouldn't turn down the right E30 for the right price!
I know of some if you're interested!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Green Group

Awwwww, please don't tell me that right before the holiday$...

"Sorry sweetie, we're having ramen noodles and a couple of 40's for new years eve because I bought myself another E30 for Xmas."

LOL,

Jon
Old 11-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Skeen

Old 11-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Defender of the Porsche Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfast View Post
Awwwww, please don't tell me that right before the holiday$...

"Sorry sweetie, we're having ramen noodles and a couple of 40's for new years eve because I bought myself another E30 for Xmas."

LOL,

Jon
LOL, Haven't we all been there to some extent at some point in life.

My wife is getting new Hoosiers for Xmas (along with a kiss) because I now cannot get her out the Porsche. The MCS is now a grocery getter and a winter ice racer.
2003 Mini Cooper S
Old 12-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Green Group

Just to update this... the new Spec E36 rules are out, and I'm not building one.

Aftermarket ECU chips are allowed. The suspension is a height-but-not-stiffness-adjustable H&R coilover kit which means scales for setup & all subsequent changes. Furthermore, it's back-ordered until February. AND some of the other "spec" parts aren't available from more than one source. AND they haven't made a tire decision yet (although the wheel choice is 16x7.)

They have missed the boat IMHO. They should've tried to get it as close to NASA Spec E30 as possible, and they didn't; they went MUCH more complicated (all things considered.) I want a "KISS car" (keep it simple stupid)... get it reliable, then just drive it, and work on the loose nut behind the wheel much more than anything else. I was hoping that's what Spec E36 would be, but it isn't gonna be... not for 2007 at least.

Oh well. I was probably destined to have another E30 anyway.

And for the record I'm not buying anything at the moment... holidays, bills, etc...

Jon
Old 12-12-2006, 08:32 AM
FIA rated bubble wrap!

Send a message via AIM to billy Send a message via MSN to billy Send a message via Skype™ to billy

Annoying,
The PCA didn't make that mistake with 944 spec, same as NASA.
iRacing: AMD Phenom BE 970 + HD6870 (5740x1080)
Old 01-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Green Group

Just re-reading this thread... 13 months later, not a whole lot has changed for me. I haven't bought or built a racecar only because I haven't been able to afford it (long story, hahaha.) Meanwhile the M3 has gotten plenty of maintenance/upgrades and continues to run great at 97k miles:

http://www.get-fast.net/m3

I retired it from track duty a few months ago after receiving news from my agent that State Farm would no longer cover HPDE incidents. It continues to be a great occasional driver and autocross toy though!

Meanwhile I have been involved with development of the upcoming "Spec3" (aka NASA's version of Spec E36) racing class. For those interested, the rules are very similar to Spec E30 and should be public very soon.

The prototype is built and has been extensively tested/adjusted at VIR and Summit by a variety of drivers including myself. Spec3 #2 (well actually #242) is being caged right now and will be on track this spring as the official racecar of Get Fast LLC, piloted by its owner James Packer... details will be here:

http://www.get-fast.net/e36/

In related news, my '08 schedule looks bigger and busier than ever. I'll be working (and hopefully also driving) at every single one of these events plus more TBA:

http://www.get-fast.net/calendar.html

Can't wait,

Jon
Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Yellow Group

Send a message via AIM to jamesb

Damn jon you guys are pretty darn busy. I am trying to squeeze in the march VIR. But you probably wont see me untill may. If the rental cars contract is signed I am not flogging it right before drivers school in march. not to mention im still dealing with some wiring gremlins on thes car.
MARRS #28 ITB Golf
PMF Motorsports
Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires
Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM
At 10/10ths

Send a message via AIM to kbrew8991

wondering how I missed this thread the first time, heh

its a shame Spec3 and SpecE36 won't be the same to encourgage crossover, but I can also see why you guys went the direction you did

Ken Brewer
1991 Toyota MR2 NA - time trialer retired to street car duty
1994 Toyota MR2 NA - former SSB car, building for NASA PT & SCCA IT
2010 Mazda RX8 R3 - gf's daily, SCCA C-Stock Autocross