Go Back   Trackpedia Discussion Forums > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 AM
At 10/10ths

Send a message via AIM to kbrew8991

I wore my Trackpedia shirts with pride this weekend at the ChumpCar 24hrs of VIR race this weekend. What an experience driving at night by the light of your own car Had a ton of fun pounding around in an Mk2 MR2 outside of getting hit for no reason in the middle of the front straightaway at about 12:45am... no big damage, spin, or anything but it sure felt intentional. Oh and guess what kind of car it was that hit me? (/inside joke). We were on South Course during daylight hours but got to run the full course from dusk-dawn. My 2nd favorite driving shift was the daybreak one, but night clearly trumped it. I can't say enough about how fun that was!!

Event overall was very tiring, hot, but still fun. I'd do it again but not in the summer, heh. If I was being picky I would say that I wish there was a middle ground between the laziesee-faire (sp?) of Chump and the don't-screw-up-or-we'll-tar-and-feather-you of LeMons but ah well

Ken Brewer
1991 Toyota MR2 NA - time trialer retired to street car duty
1994 Toyota MR2 NA - former SSB car, building for NASA PT & SCCA IT
2010 Mazda RX8 R3 - gf's daily, SCCA C-Stock Autocross
Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Official Trackpedia Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Stack Send a message via MSN to Stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrew8991 View Post
I wore my Trackpedia shirts with pride this weekend at the ChumpCar 24hrs of VIR race this weekend. What an experience driving at night by the light of your own car Had a ton of fun pounding around in an Mk2 MR2 outside of getting hit for no reason in the middle of the front straightaway at about 12:45am... no big damage, spin, or anything but it sure felt intentional. Oh and guess what kind of car it was that hit me? (/inside joke). We were on South Course during daylight hours but got to run the full course from dusk-dawn. My 2nd favorite driving shift was the daybreak one, but night clearly trumped it. I can't say enough about how fun that was!!

Event overall was very tiring, hot, but still fun. I'd do it again but not in the summer, heh. If I was being picky I would say that I wish there was a middle ground between the laziesee-faire (sp?) of Chump and the don't-screw-up-or-we'll-tar-and-feather-you of LeMons but ah well
I'm pretty sure that's called NASA ZING!

Bunches of my friends were in that race... I was asked to help drive for one of the 280Z teams, but not enough time to get ready. (And funds are too tight for the personal safety equipment I would have needed to purchase.)

Asphalt Ventures, LLC - Owner/Manager
Triangle Z Club / Tarheel Sports Car Club
-Event steward, registrar, all-around good guy
Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Yellow Group

Wow, its been a while since I've posted. Besides doing a lot of instructing lately, I'm really getting into CrapCan racing. Did 2 LeMons events and 2 ChumpCar events this year. We were in the top 5 for all of those races until we had issues. We actually won the ChumpCar 25.5 hour race at Nelson last month (I'll post a short writeup on that later).

I actually enjoy our LeMons car so much, I haven't tracked my 911 in over a year, lol! Spend a lot of time in the garage working on it, doing a lot of little things to maker it easier to work on, comfortable to drive, and spend less times in the pits.

Looking forward to the 2012 season.

-Scott

1991 BMW 318is 24 Hours of LeMons
1984 Porsche 911
2001 BMW M Roadster
2007 Mini Cooper S

Last edited by sbarton; 11-02-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Official Trackpedia Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Stack Send a message via MSN to Stack

I think it's time to get the cobwebs off the Porsche... come on down to VIR @ Thanksgiving with me!

http://msreg.us/2011TRP

Looks like I'm car-less. Something let go in the bottom end last September @ VIR, can't afford to fix it, so I "sold" it to my mechanic (to whom I still owed a good chunk of change for suspension work & tires from last spring.) I'll net a little (much needed) cash though.

It'll be official this weekend I think.

Asphalt Ventures, LLC - Owner/Manager
Triangle Z Club / Tarheel Sports Car Club
-Event steward, registrar, all-around good guy
Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Yellow Group

Sorry to hear that.

I'll actually only be a few hours away from VIR for Thanksgiving, but I'm flying so won't have a car either, lol.

-Scott

1991 BMW 318is 24 Hours of LeMons
1984 Porsche 911
2001 BMW M Roadster
2007 Mini Cooper S
Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Yellow Group

2011 has been a heck of a year for my business! I've been very busy with high-end drivers ed and track day coaching work (Chin, MVP, VIR Club) and my historic racing consulting business is through the roof!

Worked nearly two dozen historic racing events from Sebring to Mont Tremblant and topped it off with both weekends at the Monterey Reunion with a full slate of clients!

Just finished up the last two events this year (both in December) as Lead Coach for Bobby Rahal's Legend's of Motorsports and raced at VDCA's Roebling Road, posting the weekend's fastest lap overall by a second! Having fun exchanging ideas and techniques with colleagues Jim Pace, E. Paul Dickinson, Bruce MacInnes and Mike Zimicki. Awesome!

I am now AiM Sportline's newest dealer, have now sold more than three dozen Video VBOX Lite's and doing a solid business with Traqmate and ChaseCam products. Building and selling a few simulators for use with iRacing, GTR2, rFactor mods and GT Legends.

Doing a fair bit of telephone and internet data and video interpretation and staying busy into the off-season.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-18-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Conan

Well, I guess it's been a bit since I posted last. 3, 4 years? No real reason. Just got caught up in life.

So: I moved to San Antonio in 2009. My track/racing "career" has all but stopped -- maybe getting in one or two track events a year now. The economy really put the kibosh on that. Had to sell the trailer, truck and race car. Of course, that was in 2009. Sold the Elise in Oct 2011 and replaced it with a 2012 Audi S4. I seriously hurt my back in the summer of 2011 and driving the Elise was phyiscally painfull from that point on. That, coupled with another kid, forced my hand. I was karting pretty seriously for a short time (with great success), but my back stopped that, as well.

I'm pretty depressed about not racing. I miss it immensely. Miss the Lotus, too.

Glad to see this website still going, though. You guys rock!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Conan; 01-09-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
At 10/10ths

Send a message via AIM to kbrew8991

Conan, come out to a NASA-TX event even if it's just to hang out I'm at every one of them. We're up near the DFW area quite a bit, and even have an event later on near Harris Hill if that's closer

Ken Brewer
1991 Toyota MR2 NA - time trialer retired to street car duty
1994 Toyota MR2 NA - former SSB car, building for NASA PT & SCCA IT
2010 Mazda RX8 R3 - gf's daily, SCCA C-Stock Autocross
Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Warpedcow

I guess I should post something here too. Didn't get on track at all in 2011, and only once in 2010. I've been busy building a house instead. (You think stuffing up a race car is a cash-ectomy? Hah.) Oh, and I'm engaged now too!

Was hoping to do some ice racing stuff with the Audi club this winter, as I had a few years ago, but winter has been so mild there isn't nearly enough ice on the lakes. Anyway, I think I should be able to hit up BIR again this summer...

SOLD: 2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M Black Sapphire - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course
DD and Track Toy: 2006 Volvo S60R AWD 6M Sonic Blue - CAI - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - SNOW FUN - My HD Trackday Videos
Racing Sims Rig:Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.9GHZ, AMD Radeon 7870, 8GB RAM DDR3, Logitech MOMO wheel and pedals
Old 01-15-2012, 04:55 AM
Red Group

Pro racing is on the shelf right now. I know many of my competitors do instructing to extend their budgets. I'm not a very patient instructor, so I think people like Peter does it better and it's better for the student.

Might do some track days. Perhaps and endurance race or two? Preferably in Porsches or touring cars.