Go Back   Trackpedia Discussion Forums > Main Category > Introduce yourself and your car/bike

Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Green Group

Default Howdy, folks.

I've been snooping around this forum for a while and found it to be a pretty cool place to hang out on the Internet.

I saw John Stecher's F1000 at an SCCA event at MAM in August before I realized that he was the head honcho around here--I was walking around looking at the cars and saw the Trackpedia logo on the side of a black car and said "Trackpedia! Cool!"

I got back into cars after a LONG time of driving a truck and not caring too much about cars or racing when I attended the SCCA Runoffs with some friends last year. That set me to thinking that I'd like something to drive that was a bit more fun (and got better gas mileage) thanmy truck and I ended up with this:

It's a 2009 Saturn Sky Red Line with the GMPP Stage 2 kit (which gives me 290 HP and 340 lb-ft of torque). I'm having a blast driving a car again, even if I drive it like a little old lady (a holdover from having gone to a bunch of accidents as a reporter).

I had my heart set on a Solstice GXP Coupe, but when it proved impossible to find, I was able to acquire a Sky with a manual transmission. I'm finding that I really dig the convertible and am happy with the way things turned out.

It's a heck of a lot faster than anything I've ever owned before and faster than most anything I've ever driven, except for the Z06 Vette that I drove when I was looking at cars. The Z06 was fun, but just too high-strung for me to enjoy it as a daily driver.

I wanted to say "Hi" before I posted in another section, so "Hi."
Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Warpedcow

Welcome!

SOLD: 2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M Black Sapphire - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course
DD and Track Toy: 2006 Volvo S60R AWD 6M Sonic Blue - CAI - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - SNOW FUN - My HD Trackday Videos
Racing Sims Rig:Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.9GHZ, AMD Radeon 7870, 8GB RAM DDR3, Logitech MOMO wheel and pedals
Old 09-24-2009, 08:55 AM
At 10/10ths

Send a message via AIM to kbrew8991

Hello

Ken Brewer
1991 Toyota MR2 NA - time trialer retired to street car duty
1994 Toyota MR2 NA - former SSB car, building for NASA PT & SCCA IT
2010 Mazda RX8 R3 - gf's daily, SCCA C-Stock Autocross
Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 AM
FIA rated bubble wrap!

Send a message via AIM to billy Send a message via MSN to billy Send a message via Skype™ to billy

That looks like a fun car. Is Saturn still making that car? I thought the Solstice was dropped by Pontiac now?
iRacing: AMD Phenom BE 970 + HD6870 (5740x1080)
Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Green Group

First, thanks for the welcome, folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
That looks like a fun car. Is Saturn still making that car? I thought the Solstice was dropped by Pontiac now?
No, they aren't making it anymore. The Wilmington, Delaware plant where it, and the Solstice, was built closed in July. It's too bad these got dropped, but they were reportedly a money-loser for GM that cost more to make than to sell and thus, no more Solstice/Sky.

It is a very fun car. I saw one review that said it was about two-thirds Corvette and one-third Miata and I agree. The lack of storage space in the trunk and cockpit would make it awful as an only car, but it's just peachy as an evening and weekend toy.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Red Group

Send a message via MSN to Hanewf_83

Welcome.
I'd have to agree about the car, I drove a Solstice around a few tracks, and was surprised at the overall performance, and the forgivability of it when you pushed that little bit too far.
It sucks that they're no longer in production, I've been looking for one for a while now and can't find them anywhere with a manual trans (damn automatic driving wusses)

Cars:
Ex - Van Diemen RF91 FF (wrecked), BRD FV (still running somewhere)
WIPS - Ralt RT-41 (The Black Beauty [black hole in terms of money]), HMST-F-01a, HMST-B-01c
2009 - ?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Warpedcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanewf_83 View Post
I've been looking for one for a while now and can't find them anywhere with a manual trans (damn automatic driving wusses)
You could always just import an Opel GT with a manual. Someone local here did that (saw it at Cars and Cafe).

SOLD: 2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M Black Sapphire - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course
DD and Track Toy: 2006 Volvo S60R AWD 6M Sonic Blue - CAI - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - SNOW FUN - My HD Trackday Videos
Racing Sims Rig:Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.9GHZ, AMD Radeon 7870, 8GB RAM DDR3, Logitech MOMO wheel and pedals
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Green Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
You could always just import an Opel GT with a manual. Someone local here did that (saw it at Cars and Cafe).
Unfortunately, the Opel GT was also built in Wilmington and is no more.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Eric

Very nice. Is the Red Line a factory option or is that a 3rd party tuning deal?

Welcome!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Green Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Very nice. Is the Red Line a factory option or is that a 3rd party tuning deal?

Welcome!
The Red Line is the factory's name for the turbocharged version of the Sky and the tune is a GM Performance Parts kit that the dealer installed. The kit consists of a new manifold pressure sensor and the tune. It also provides a "no lift shift" feature that means you can keep your foot on the gas when up-shifting near readline (which I don't use, but which sounds fun).

The fact that it's dealer installed maintains the warranty (5 years, 100,000 miles) on the power train.