Go Back   Trackpedia Discussion Forums > Main Category > Bike technical setup tips, and preparation

Old 02-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Lead foot Stecher

Default Questions on bike setup

So now that Stingray has me thinking I am interested in figuring out what the best setup is for a bike or I guess more so what are the most important things to check.

Obviously a good deal like tires, shock valving, etc is going have commonalities with cars but I am curious to learn what the one off items are.

I also am interested in how many bikers use the clutch while on the track.

http://www.trackpedia.com
My Blog: http://www.trackpedia.com/blogs/john
Old 02-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Green Group

I would guess that the large majority of experienced bike trackday riders (and moreso for the racers) don't use the clutch for upshifts, but do for downshifts. Some of us (not I) also have a trick device called a quickshifter that's basically a switch on the shift linkage that cuts the ignition when we yank the pedal so we don't even have to roll off the throttle to unload the gear teeth.

I don't know much about car setup for the track, but I do know that we get through tech a hell of a lot faster

Last edited by davetoo; 02-02-2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Lead foot Stecher

Thats close to what I have in my car. My car I ran an 99 R1 and now am putting in a 05 R1 engine and on the upshifts its just a simple lift, squeeze the paddle and bang in gear. I heard that power command actually has an ignition cut off as well to allow for no lift shifts. True?

One thing of interest into me is downshifts without the clutch. Being that I would rather left foot brake in the car I need to figure out a good way to change gears on the way down without the clutch. I know it should be possible to brake (which loads the gearbox in decelleration) and then blip the throttle to unload the gearbox which should let the tranny drop into gear. Its all nice in my head...in practice with the 98 motor it didnt work.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Skeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstecher View Post
Thats close to what I have in my car. My car I ran an 99 R1 and now am putting in a 05 R1 engine and on the upshifts its just a simple lift, squeeze the paddle and bang in gear. I heard that power command actually has an ignition cut off as well to allow for no lift shifts. True?

One thing of interest into me is downshifts without the clutch. Being that I would rather left foot brake in the car I need to figure out a good way to change gears on the way down without the clutch. I know it should be possible to brake (which loads the gearbox in decelleration) and then blip the throttle to unload the gearbox which should let the tranny drop into gear. Its all nice in my head...in practice with the 98 motor it didnt work.
In the shifter karts, which may be comparing apples to oranges, you don't really need to blip or use the clutch. As long as you're smooth and don't force the shifter (or even if you do), it pretty much slides right into gear. This could be because the kart is lighter, or something of that nature.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Lead foot Stecher

Mike I think that the clutch may be different in the two setups as well I am not sure. The shifters I know you just bang down gears but for my car it just doesn't work because you just cant pull it out of gear while the tranny is under load in some manner or another.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Yellow Group

On the street, I use the clutch exclusively. Once I hit the track, it is only used for downshifts, as it is really important to match the revs before beginning a turn. The motorcycles have a bad habit of rear wheel hop if you don't match the revs while downshifting and braking.

Slipper clutches in modern bikes have nearly negated the hop, but at a grand, i'll stick to the tried and true method. Besides, I kind of enjoy getting the rearend squirrelly, it makes for a more fun experience.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Green Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstecher View Post
I heard that power command actually has an ignition cut off as well to allow for no lift shifts. True?
probably you are talking about the dynojet quick shifter, that works as explained by davetoo.

on racetrack i use the clutch only for downshifts.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Green Group

Default questions on bike setup

I use a device from flatshifter.com this enable's me to do full throttle clutchless upshifts & clutchless downshifts it blips the throttle for you on downshifts automatically unloading the transmission it works brilliantly.
graz
Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Green Group

I just built a homemade one. Took a 3x8 with 4.?-8 tires & widened it to 4 1/2x8 with 5.?-8 tires (rated 590lbs ea). Added leaf springs from a Suzuki Sameri. It's rated 2000lbs gross, will carry 1500 easy. I carry my son and mine ttr's 125 & 225. It doesn't even squat! No problems going 90mph! I know the kit/Northern tools trailer you are talking about. Personally I wouldn't trust it to carry 2 bikes...1..if you reinforceit. I used 3" steel channel beams. It cost me half of what Lowes wanted for a new 5x8. I'm looking to buy an enclosed one now. I just needed something "for now" to get to legal riding areas.
voiture simulation de credit immobilier en ligne - Simulation credit immobilier en ligne. L’Internet a rendu encore plus facile d’obtenir de l’aide pour trouver le credit immobilier.