PDA

View Full Version : Week 17 rFactor Challenge - Watkins Glen "Showdown at the Glen"

f2000keith
02-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Here it is fellas..... Wiki download link was updated. It was originally a 800k file that was hosed... It should be ok now. Don't forget to add the SLN textures for a little "enhancement".

http://sln.rscsites.org/

Mike_B
02-11-2009, 01:50 AM
I love The Glen (though I prefer the '67 version, the current version is still fun).

jstecher
02-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Great track and a lot of fun to run!!! Big trick seems to be just carrying massive speed through the last two turns. Hopefully this week I can get a few more than 10 laps in because Keith I am tired of seeing your stupid car up in front of me and I owe Todd a little paint trading payback. :)

HawkBat
02-12-2009, 10:43 PM
This track seem to be fun, only ran a few laps offline. I might have to miss this week, Dr told me to take it easy on my shoulder, and don't want to make anything worse then is, gotta save it up for karting.

I feel strange missing lime rock.

Mossie
02-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Here's some data if anyone is interested, should be a fun race, lots of draft passing opportunity's, like Mosport. :clap:

HawkBat
02-16-2009, 11:13 AM
I have to say I am liking the track. I can def see my skills improved from Caldwell Park. Just wish I had more time to tackle the track.

Matt Newcombe
02-16-2009, 03:00 PM
I have yet to do any laps, so we'll see how she goes - the Glen is normally a fun one.

Matt Newcombe
02-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Virtually the same setup as Mossie with slightly more steering angle and less front brake bias. T1 and T5 were not done quite right, so there's still more time to be made up.

Brake early at this track and you'll get better straightaway speeds.

Sorry that I forgot to turn on the Motec :stupid:

Mossie
02-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Hey Matt, glad you could get in some laps, I was wondering what happened to you, nice lap.:bow: You may be right about the brake bias. I thought more front would let me trail brake deeper, but I don't really know. Normally I don't mess with caster, but here, more does seem to help. I also found my steering lock has something to do with my steering wheel set up, I don't know what, but 8 to me is like 25 to everyone else. :confused:

On fuel, I'm burning about .47 gal. per lap. Thats more than two tanks worth (32 laps). So do you, (1) stop twice, take tires both times (2) stop twice but, just a splash at the end, no tires second stop. (3) short shift and try to finish on one stop. :rolleyes: I don't know what the answer is, but it will be interesting to see some different strategies play out.

HawkBat
02-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks mossie for letting me know about fuel. And thanks a lot for giving me something else to think about!

I can't imagine I am going to say this but I am kind of glad now that we are not doing a spring series, I just started up my late starting class....what did I get myself into.

Matthew Inge
02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Could Matt or someone post that setup. I cant seem to open that type of file. Im very computer illiterate.

Mike_B
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
I have yet to do any laps, so we'll see how she goes - the Glen is normally a fun one.

I still haven't even installed the track. I've been working really early all week (up at between 3:15am and 4:30am). On top of that, I just got a 996 GT3 seat for my Boxster. I got it because, 1) I want a race seat so I can use a harness on the track, and 2) because everybody said you sit lower with it, and thus it would give me more headroom (I barely fit in the car, but don't really with a helmet. So today after work I was all excited to get the new seat in. However, after I took the stock seat out, I found that the GT3 seat sits no lower. Now I'm bummed and don't know what to do. :mad:

I probably won't race again today.

HawkBat
02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Come on Mike you have to race. I am going to do to race, cause I need the mental break, and its not the best choice... so I am doing it.

As for your Porsche problem, I bet you will fit in my mazda, even with a helmet. ;)

Mike_B
02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Come on Mike you have to race. I am going to do to race, cause I need the mental break, and its not the best choice... so I am doing it.

As for your Porsche problem, I bet you will fit in my mazda, even with a helmet. ;)

We'll see. I have to work out now, but if I can get done in time, I might make it (to drive around at the back).

I'm sure I would fit. ;) I'm really bummed though, because that means that I pretty much will not find a race seat that I will fit in in that car.

Matt Newcombe
02-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Sorry Matthew, the .svm files for setups aren't enabled on the forum yet, so that's why mossie would've uploaded a zip file. You should just be able to right click on the folder once you download it and click "Extract All" - that'll open the .zip wizard. Once you have the file(s) extracted just copy the .svm file into your Watkins Glen settings folder.

If that doesn't work for you, Mossie and I are both running full negative camber, no toe front or rear, max rear spring and rollbar settings and maximum tire pressure front/rear. Personally, I have my brake bias set to around 53:48.

Mossie
02-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks mossie for letting me know about fuel. And thanks a lot for giving me something else to think about!

No problem Chris, hang in there dude.:cheers:

Could Matt or someone post that setup. I cant seem to open that type of file. Im very computer illiterate.

Hey Matthew, I don't seem to be able to post the setup with out compressing it first, (its not on the list of allowed file types) google "winrar" and download it to open compressed files like zip and rar. See you tonight.:cheers:

edit: opps, Matt beat me to it, thanks Matt.

Matt Newcombe
02-17-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm glad that I got a crappy start (as usual) and got bumped off in T5 on the first lap - it made the rest of the race quite a challenge. Having so many drafting opportunities made it difficult to stay ahead and I think it helped to even out the playing field a bit. It really is too bad that more didn't show up to this race as it was lots of fun.

Warpedcow
02-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Yep lots of fun, despite shooting myself in the foot twice during the race.... still had lots of fun multi-lap battles with Matthew, Keith, Colin, and some others. :clap:

HawkBat
02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I had to say I had a lot of fun, for having maybe 2 hours of practice at the track. John was a fun battle, a great battle. Keith, had a great time racing against you for a while, then I started to get into my distracted, other type driving mode and well didn't see you anymore.