PDA

View Full Version : Car setup question (should be an easy answer)

GPzMike
12-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm using the Race2Play setup manager and it suggests that it's best to take a tire's temps from the exit of the corner where that tire's temps are registering the highest.

My brain...and perhaps some misinformation somewhere in the past, says that it's best to take the information from the corner that the driver deems most important on the track. Thats where you most want everything to be working 'perfectly' and the rest of the track sorta is a balancing act.

I'm not trying to say the r2p setup thingy is wrong...just asking if my thinking holds any water.

Michael

Stack
12-17-2008, 08:29 PM
I want to know how the heck you plan on taking these tire temps? Replays?

I think that's splitting hairs either way you look at it. If you can somehow optimize the temps for the maximum of any one turn, they'll be compromised for all the other turns (except maybe turn similar).

Tire temps shouldn't be fluctuating that much on road course turns anyway, they're too short in duration. Those suggestions may have more validity when talking about roundy-round driving where the tire temp at the beginning of a turn can be dramatically different than the end of a turn. I just don't think you'll see those kind of fluctuations on road courses... maybe I'm wrong though.

Mike_B
12-17-2008, 09:25 PM
And it's not like you can, or want to change that much in the setup of the SRF.

jstecher
12-17-2008, 09:55 PM
I just exit the game on the front straight and then set the pressures to be even based on that temp I see in the car.

GPzMike
12-17-2008, 10:22 PM
I have the data acquisition plugin installed and use Motec to look at the tire temps, etc.

(I know, what a tool...hahaha)

It may be that I'm just not fast enough, but all the cars I've driven thus far are WAY over cambered for me and I'm just driving around on the inside of the tires. I see temps in the default setup that are above 10 degrees variance across the tire.

I do agree, however, that if I took the default setup and ran it as many laps as it takes to create a setup that I might well find I'm just as fast in either. On the other hand, in NAGT mod I'm running the Aston Martin and I can comfortably turn times that don't shred the tires that I can do only by roaching the rubber with the default setting. And since the races are long enough to make tire wear an issue it makes sense to get the tire flat on the road for me.

I hear what y'all are saying about what corner to pick. You are probably right that it really is splitting hairs at that point. Once dialed in for one corner it seems the rest are fairly good. It's always going ot be a compromise. Didn't really think it all the way through before posting I suppose.

Cheers!
Michael