PDA

View Full Version : Trackpedia/ApexSpeed.com rFactor '08/'09 Winter League

f2000keith
10-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Ok guys, lets get the ball rolling with roll call for who is going to be running in this upcoming league. We're getting a track list together and are pretty sure on the mod we will be running. So far it's primarily North American tracks with a few trips across the pond in the Spec Racer Ford. Talking with John we will be running this league on Tuesdays at 8 CST and all practice will be done on your own time to keep the needed online time to a minimum. People were showing up a couple hours early to the sim races for the last league so it shouldn't effect people too much. So let's get a head count!!

Keith Carter
John Stecher
Doug Carter
Mike "Setup" Skeen
Jake Latham
Kyle Kimberley
Matt Newcombe
Steve Branda
Mossie Rowe
Stacy King
Ambrose Buldo
Dave Marklein
Dave Adolpfson

Maybe
===========
Chris Buccola
Bob McCown

Stack
10-02-2008, 06:12 AM
Keith... do you guys know yet when it'll be starting?

Skeen
10-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Really? FBMWs again? I was hoping for 997s so we could bang into each other some more. :p

Definite
======================
Keith Carter
John Stecher
Doug Carter
Mike Skeen

Maybe
======================

Stack
10-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Really? FBMWs again? I was hoping for 997s so we could bang into each other some more. :p

I'll be honest... if it were the 997's, I'd be a definite in a heartbeat. But I had the conversation with John many times. Right now, it's going to come down to me being able to quickly re-configure my wheel for rFactor from iRacing (and switch back and forth without going insane.)

But I'm doing the Skippy's in iRacing, then eventually on to Formula Mazdas, so I'm getting my fill of open wheelers.

Warpedcow
10-02-2008, 08:42 AM
If it's Tuesday nights, I'm in. Wednesday nights are iffy, I know I'd have to miss probably half the races...

f2000keith
10-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Keith... do you guys know yet when it'll be starting?

Not an exact date yet. John and I have been real busy with work so we haven't discussed it much but I would imagine once our race season is officially over we'll be looking into it pretty good. My last race is October 19th...

kydiwl
10-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm in. Either night should be good with me.

Stack... I have my G25 settings at 420 degrees rotation. I have been racing the FBMW in rFactor and the skippy in iRacing and it works great for both. 420 seems to be the exact wheel rotation for the skippy and its real close for the FBMW.

I would like to second (or third) to get some closed wheel cars into the league sometime. But it's your league. :bow:

Matt Newcombe
10-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm in for sure. Regardless of the decision to go with open or closed wheel racing, I have to say that I prefer the FBMW to the Atlantics.

f2000keith
10-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I would like to second (or third) to get some closed wheel cars into the league sometime. But it's your league. :bow:

Hasn't anyone ever told you real race cars don't have fenders? :D

We were actually thinking about doing the Spec Racer Ford mod for you fendered guys who are used to banging, but I don't know if John and Jake had dismissed that idea when they tested them because they were so slow. I drove that mod once and I actually like the idea of slower and tighter competition if we were to get a large group of racers online every week. Plus with them being spec cars, the amount of setup tweaking needed to be done for each track every week would be minimal for those of us who don't have lots of time for testing in between races.

I believe a lot of the reason why we are thinking of sticking with the FBMWs is that they are relatively slow/entry level formula cars so the newbs can still control the cars and the rest of us already had a season with the them so we wouldn't need to get used to a new platform since a lot of us are short on time to learn something new. If it was ultimately up to me, I'd like to race the Formula3 cars (rF3), since they are a bit faster and less twitchy to drive.

Doug Carter
10-02-2008, 07:39 PM
+1 for SRF. :rockon:

sbranda
10-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm in. Tuesday is probably better than Wednesday. 9 CST or later for the start time.

f2000keith
10-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Cool, what's your full name?

Doug Carter
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Any other mod options out there for this series outside of the FBMW? This thing is like driving a Zamboni. :miffed:

I'm really learning to not enjoy this car very much.

f2000keith
10-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Bump...

Matt Newcombe
10-09-2008, 09:47 PM
The rF3's are fun to drive as well, but are slightly more complex in terms of setup options. IMO, the FBMW's are slightly difficult to get balanced once you start to deviate from the default suspension and wing settings - but very rewarding once you get it right. The atlantics were fairly easy to drive, but I thought they felt more video-gamish than most of the other mods.

f2000keith
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I was just running the F3 again and it was difficult to get out of my FBMW mode of driving. I do like the F3 much more. The car is much more stable even though the power can get you in trouble if you're too aggressive with the pedal. I'm thinking instead of rerunning something we've already run in a previous league, we should at least try it. John, where are you?

jstecher
10-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Sorry guys i have been swamped at work and haven't had a chance to drop my comments in here. Obviously I am in to race. I am also going to start plastering the other forums trying to recruit people to play and would really welcome the help of others on here as I know you guys all frequent other boards.

Here is my thoughts. I want big fields so I am open to the car but would rather keep it open wheel and light so while the 997's are fun I think the racing wouldn't be awesome. So thus...I say lets go with SRF. Keith and I were talking and think if we post on the SRF board we can probably get between then, us and other forums well into the 40 participants which would make the racing kick ass to no end. Keith and I will work on a schedule here over the next week and get it posted here and we can work on when we want to start the league.

Stack you'll love the SRF there isnt shit tunable on it. :)

Doug Carter
10-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Sounds good to me. Time to get into the paint booth!

:clap:

jstecher
10-09-2008, 11:13 PM
how hard is it going to be to paint...its a fricking square!

Doug Carter
10-09-2008, 11:34 PM
how hard is it going to be to paint...its a fricking square!

Well when all of your cars are just black, none of them are hard to paint. :p

Skeen
10-09-2008, 11:48 PM
SRFs sure beat the BMWs. So when do we get them up on the server so we can at least play? Racing the AI isn't very much fun.

f2000keith
10-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Cool, what's your full name?

Sorry Steve, I didn't know that was you. John helped me out.

f2000keith
10-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Definite
======================
Keith Carter
John Stecher
Doug Carter
Mike "Hollywood" Skeen
Jake Latham
Kyle Kimberley
Matt Newcombe
Steve Branda

Maybe
======================
Stacy King

f2000keith
10-11-2008, 12:36 AM
So when do we get them up on the server so we can at least play? Racing the AI isn't very much fun.

Now :D

Mossie
10-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Hello, everybody! count me in, I tried the SRF and liked it, fun to drive, and the easier set up should be popular with people short on time. Where's Ty?, he should get in on this. Thanks John and Keith, :cheers:

Mossie Rowe

billy
10-12-2008, 04:30 PM
I gotta find a PC now, mine died.

sbranda
10-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Billy, do you know what died? I have an old power supply lying around if that's what failed on you.

f2000keith
10-14-2008, 02:32 PM
As a reminder the server name is "ApexSpeed" and the password to get in is "rfactor".

jstecher
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
I begrudgingly am going to start driving the SRF's this weekend to get familiar with them...actually might be able to get some laps in tomorrow night if anyone is interested in hooking up for a little practice.

Keith and i will have a schedule worked out here in the next few days...we got some exciting tracks planned.

Doug Carter
10-14-2008, 08:43 PM
It's about time.

:clap:

By the way, the template for this mod is easily one of the worst I have come across to paint with. :grumble:

jstecher
10-14-2008, 08:47 PM
God damnit Doug how am I going to paint my car pure black on such a shitty template. :P Looking forward to finally running.

f2000keith
10-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Just a reminder. Here is the link for the league info/hotlaps/results... (http://home.comcast.net/~keith.carter/trackpedia/index.html)It still shows some info from the last league, but will eventually be updated with new league information. The hotlaps link is current though for the Spec Racer Ford cars. I was hoping for a better response from the SRF guys... :(

f2000keith
10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Here is the mod we will be using (SRF v2.2) (http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Spec%20Racer%20Ford)

Here are where most (if not all) of the tracks we will be using can be downloaded from. (http://www.rfactorcentral.com/list.cfm?cat=Tracks)

The current track we're hotlapping on is Autobahn North. (http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Autobahn)

Doug Carter
10-16-2008, 03:31 PM
We need more racers out there running on the server. I'm tired of being at the bottom of the speed charts. :D :stupid:

jstecher
10-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Don't worry Doug I will be out there soon with the actual right version of the cars. I'm not expecting much out of my skillz in this crap box but the racing should be fun.

Come on all you other so called racers join up and lets have some fun guys!!!

Matt Newcombe
10-17-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm going to try and recruit some of my former FSAE teammates and spread the word. As much as the SRF's push, I can see them being fun in a crowd (as most have already stated).

Skeen
10-17-2008, 11:11 PM
We need to race on the GP79 Hockenheim (or any version of the original circuit)...great drafting games.

Doug Carter
10-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Speaking of vintage tracks, has anyone put together a list of all of the vintage tracks available for rFactor?

I think it'd be cool to run a series schedule of ALL vintage tracks. Aside from that, it'd be fun to run all of the historic tracks out there.

Stack
10-19-2008, 04:54 PM
OK ... just cause I love you guys so much... I'll see what I can do about gracing you with my presence ;)

SRF a few laps on Laguna Seca was fun, and it's closed-wheel enough for me.

Gimme a schedule and I'll be able to commit more fully. DL'ing autobahn now

Stack
10-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Not seeing server... it's been a while obviously, what am I doing wrong?

Doug Carter
10-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Not seeing server... it's been a while obviously, what am I doing wrong?

Sometimes the ApexSpeed server doesn't show up in the main listing. Click the blue [+] button and enter the server information:rFactor Server Name: ApexSpeed
Address: keithcarter.homeip.net
Password: rfactor

The mod we will be using is SRF v2.2 (http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Spec%20Racer%20Ford).
Most (if not all) of the tracks we will be using can be downloaded from here (http://www.rfactorcentral.com/list.cfm?cat=Tracks).
The current track we're hotlapping on is Autobahn North (http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Autobahn).
The hotlap practice times being run at Autobahn North Course can be found here (http://keithcarter.homeip.net:27012/rTop100Factor?max=30).

Hope this helps.

jstecher
10-19-2008, 06:14 PM
rFactor Server Name: ApexSpeed

Happy to hear your ass is actually going to race with us again buddy. These cars are a lot more fun than I expected. :)

Schedule and tracks will be come out here in the next two days.

jstecher
10-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Ok guys the season and schedule is up (we'll be racing tuesday nights)...now get off your lazy asses all the rest of you and sign up http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Trackpedia_rFactor_Challenge

Seriously this is the most fun you'll have rather you run up front or in the back its a blast.

Stack
10-20-2008, 06:23 AM
rFactor Server Name: ApexSpeed

Happy to hear your ass is actually going to race with us again buddy. These cars are a lot more fun than I expected. :)

Yeah, haven't touched the setups yet, but it really likes to be throttle steered... which I like.

Biggest difference I've experienced between this and iRacing is that I simply cannot catch spins in Rfactor like I can in IR.

I still need to tweak the wheel settings too. Anyone know if these cars in real life have heavy or light steering feel?

HawkBat
10-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I was talking with Kieth this past weekend at Blackhawk Farms, about racing in rFactor.

I am hoping to race with you guys this winter. I need to get a wheel and such. Is it possiable to join once the season is going or do you have to start at the very beginning?

Also how serious are these races taken and what experience level is needed. I know I will have to do driving on my own to get experience.

Thanks.

Doug Carter
10-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Chris, many of the guys in the league race real cars, but it's not a requirement. I haven't raced in a SIM league (or driven a SIM) in over 4 years, and haven't been in a real race car in over 5 years.

In my early experiences with this group of drivers (and SRF mod), all of the racers treat the racing like real racing and not SIM racingómeaning that you will have the same respect here that you would on the race track.

I would urge you to join any time, and not worry about how fast or slow everyone else is. Just like real racing, you have to start somewhere. You can come play in the "trunk" of the field with me. :)

:rockon:

doug

Matt Newcombe
10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Anyone up for some lapping tonight? I'll be logging on shortly.

jstecher
10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Chris come and join us. Pretty much like Doug said the racing is clean and very much like an SCCA event so get yourself a wheel and lets roll man.

Posted on Ferrarichat, NASA, and the DSR forums trying to recruit racers so we can have 40 car fields. :) If anyone wants please spread the word on other forums they are active in so we can get more racers.

Brands Hatch next week I cant wait!!! For those girls on the site (Brent, Repka, Jim L, Eric, Rob, Ty, etc) that raced last year get your asses signed up to race guys!

HawkBat
10-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Ok thanks guys.

And this is the embarrassing part. I am a big gamer, but I would like to know what do i need to buy and download for all of this. Also what wheels do you all use and recommend. I think I might get a budget one but list any recommendations, like my joysticks the more you spend the better the payoff.

Also do you guys use teamspeak/ ventrillo/ skype type programs?

f2000keith
10-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Chris, look at this post:
http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30518

jstecher
10-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Latest competitors list

Keith Carter
John Stecher
Doug Carter
Mike "Setup" Skeen
Jake Latham
Kyle Kimberley
Matt Newcombe
Steve Branda
Mossie Rowe
Stacy King
Ambrose Buldo
Dave Marklein
Dave Adolpfson

Maybe
===========
Chris Buccola
Bob McCown

Come on you other girls...get out and sign up.

Stack
10-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Logitech has a newish wheel out call the Driving Force GT ... made for the PS3 ... thats getting a LOT of good press on the iRacing forums.

Cheap... less than $150 most places. The wheel and Force Feedback are getting rave reviews, better than the G25. My main beef with it is that it comes with the craptastic plastic two-pedal set up. Wheras the G25 comes with a very nice, heavy pedal base with THREE steel pedals... Clutch, Brake, and Gas. And lemme tell ya, they will take some abuse.

Stack
10-21-2008, 02:50 PM
When will Brands Hatch be up on the server?

-Stacy

jstecher
10-21-2008, 02:51 PM
And lemme tell ya, they will take some abuse.

What...you freak out at the game....never Stack. :)

I also think Keith has Brands up on the server now.

Doug Carter
10-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Brands Hatch was on the server late last night. Keith already has laps there. At least I don't have to struggle looking for tenths on Autobahn North anymore.

It's NOT the "laser" version which is the one I have. I still need to go back and grab the track we're using for the league.

Skeen
10-21-2008, 03:26 PM
So what are we supposed to run? I've got the version from the wiki and tried with and without the 1.01 patch? No go...

HawkBat
10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Ok thanks guys. I am downloading it now. Getting a wheel will take time to figure out. I just better make sure I keep my play under check and don't let it distract me from school.

I shouldn't have any problems running the game, my computer set up would almost blow up the game based on the minimum requirements lol.

f2000keith
10-21-2008, 04:56 PM
So what are we supposed to run? I've got the version from the wiki and tried with and without the 1.01 patch? No go...

What's not working Mike? Do you get booted out of the server as soon as you join? It's the 2005 version that we ran last time with the 1.01 update. Is anyone else having problems getting in? Maybe I'll redownload the track again (1.01) to make sure we're all on the same page when I get home.

jstecher
10-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Sweet looks like we got more folks coming in to join the party as well.

I'll update the racers list a little later tonight. I haven't tried the Hatch yet but for the most part the 2005 model with the 1.01 patch should be all you need to get going. Nothing changed from racing last year in terms of this track. I'll try it when I get home from work here.

jstecher
10-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Download directly from Trackpedia http://www.trackpedia.com/rFactor/Brands_2005_v1.0.rar and http://www.trackpedia.com/rFactor/Brands_2005_1.01_patch.rar

Skeen
10-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't think I had changed anything from last year, but I reinstalled everything a couple times, including just now from the links you posted, John. I'm getting "Cannot find track (or rfm mismatch) | Brands yada yada. scn | connection lost"

Track works offline.

jstecher
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I just got home from work and am wrapping up some work here but will check it out in the next 30 minutes. My guess is that Keith has the wrong version of something on his server if its not working for you.

jstecher
10-21-2008, 08:14 PM
So Mike I am like you and get booted. Basically it tried to load Autobahn and then boots me. Does it do the same for you?

jstecher
10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
K mike it is fixed. Wrong version on the server but Keith being the wizard he is has us up and running.

Doug Carter
10-21-2008, 10:19 PM
So when did they start using quicksand at race tracks?

:grumble:

Warpedcow
10-21-2008, 11:47 PM
So when did they start using quicksand at race tracks?

:grumble:

Yeah, that'll likely be a DNF on this track. Though to be fair, I've seen SRFs slide into the sand at Road America and they can't drive out either... so it is pretty realistic IMHO.

Oh, and my hat's in the ring now. I'll try not to be a rolling roadblock. :D

jstecher
10-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Man tonight was a blast....forgot how much I loved the Hatch. Cant wait to get all the participants out there. This is going to be awesome!!!!

1:45.1 Mike...the hate runs deep in me. :P

Stack
10-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Do we need to do the "pick your car" thing again this time so we don't have people "dropping in" on one another's pit stalls?

And can someone re-post the link for the paint template?

Doug Carter
10-22-2008, 07:48 AM
The paint template is IN the mod folder.

Stack
10-22-2008, 08:29 AM
The paint template is IN the mod folder.

OK... lemme rephrase: can someone email me the paint template?

I'm at work, where I need to do my photochopping... and all the SRF mod downloads seem to be exe's, not rar's where I can pull the file from.

Doug Carter
10-22-2008, 10:32 AM
There is a bit of an updated/cleaned up SRF skin template in a PSD format (http://www.apexspeed.com/doug/rfactor/skin_templates/SRF_skin_template.zip) on my server...

There will be a new one uploaded later today when I get a Trackpedia "decal" from John. :)

Bob McCown
10-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Howdy folks. I'm here. Finally got a couple laps in at the Hatch today. 2+ though. Argh!

What do I need to upload for the skins? I have mine all set.

Stack
10-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Howdy folks. I'm here. Finally got a couple laps in at the Hatch today. 2+ though. Argh!

What do I need to upload for the skins? I have mine all set.

Yeah, my memory needs refreshing as well on this

-Stacy

Mike_B
10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Hi. First post. I'm in. My schedule is really up for grabs, but I'll make every event I am able.

jstecher
10-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Sweeet Mike. Your going to love it.

trackaddict
10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm in.

HawkBat
10-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I am sure I'm going to be missing the first race. Next week I have a big paper due and will be out of town this weekend so school takes priority. Also I still need to get a wheel.

Doug Carter
10-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Running into you soon at a track near you... :rockon:

jstecher
10-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Damn Doug that is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. Trackaddict good to see you again buddy and happy your racing with us. Mike get that damn wheel fixed!!

Skins will be able to be uploaded to my ftp server once I get a new username/password on it tomorrow. From there we'll put together something that unzip them for everyone.

Matt Newcombe
10-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Dang, that's pretty sharp looking Doug. Will there be a cutoff point for custom skins?

jstecher
10-23-2008, 07:12 AM
I'd like to have the cutoff point be before the first race BUT I realize that doing that could lead to a lot of folks having skin conflicts for the first race and getting booted. SO I think we'll have all the Skins due next Wednesday and will use them from the second race weekend on.

Sound like a plan to everyone?

Stack
10-23-2008, 07:16 AM
I'd like to have the cutoff point be before the first race BUT I realize that doing that could lead to a lot of folks having skin conflicts for the first race and getting booted. SO I think we'll have all the Skins due next Wednesday and will use them from the second race weekend on.

Sound like a plan to everyone?\

Works for me... will give me some more time to tweak and hone mine.

Bob McCown
10-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Looking good, Doug. I need the Trackpedia logo, and I should put an ApexSpeed one on mine, too.

Bob McCown
10-23-2008, 08:00 AM
HEY! I just noticed you have a fuel filler! Where'd you find that? Its not in the base PSD I have. :(

Bob McCown
10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
OK, I borrowed it off your image. Moved some decals around, too, to clean up the sides.

Doug Carter
10-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Ooooohhhhhhh that! That's an SCCA Roundel decal, not a fuel filler. I couldn't figure out what you were talking about.

I'll upload a new version of the skin to my server later today with a layer of decals that can be used.

This should be fun!

Bob McCown
10-23-2008, 09:28 AM
DOH! Not having looked where the filler is on an SRF, I assumed.

/me opens Photoshop again

Doug Carter
10-23-2008, 09:43 AM
http://www.sccagear.com/assets/images/productimages/patches/SCCA-WireWheel-400.jpg

:D

Bob McCown
10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
No! Stop that! I can't keep tweaking the stupid skin! :stupid:

Doug Carter
10-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Oh, you can ALWAYS tweak the skin...

just be glad you're not doing it going back and forth between a Mac and a PC. :p

Stack
10-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Quick... can someone tell me which way the rear cowl is situated on the template!

In other words... If I'm putting text on the rear of the car, how would that text need to be oriented on the template to show up correctly on the car?

Thanks!! (Can't test out my skin here at work)

Bob McCown
10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
You mean the rear vertical piece. Its upside down as the template is. Picture it being folded down from where it is.

Of course, there are the ventilation slots in there to worry about, too.

Stack
10-23-2008, 11:44 AM
You mean the rear vertical piece. Its upside down as the template is. Picture it being folded down from where it is.

Of course, there are the ventilation slots in there to worry about, too.

Cool... thats what I figured, just making sure

Thanks!

Stack
10-23-2008, 03:12 PM
OK ... here's mine for this season... pretty basic, but not as busy as my FBMW one:

http://trianglezclub.smugmug.com/photos/400788145_gxHHQ-O.jpg

http://trianglezclub.smugmug.com/photos/400788132_zgGbQ-O.jpg

But the reason I'm gonna kick everyone's asses is because of my steering wheel and gauge upgrade!
http://trianglezclub.smugmug.com/photos/400788160_fJ86p-O.jpg

LOL

This is the version 1... not too fond of it anymore:
http://trianglezclub.smugmug.com/photos/400788100_vZmWU-M.jpg

Bob McCown
10-23-2008, 03:26 PM
NICE! How'd you upgrade the dash? Inquiring minds want to know...

Stack
10-23-2008, 03:53 PM
NICE! How'd you upgrade the dash? Inquiring minds want to know...

"It's in the game" :D

As you're viewing your vehicle, click the "upgrades" tab just above the info

Bob McCown
10-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Ah neat! Thanks.

OOh, I wonder if we can paint the roll bar padding? And our helmets?

tifosi
10-23-2008, 04:31 PM
yes and yes

Doug Carter
10-23-2008, 05:10 PM
For the rollbar, shocks, springs and other car parts, there is a file in the Vehicles folder for other cars called something like "SRFXX_WING.bmp" or something similar. Open that file and edit the colors and textures as you want. Then change the number to match your car naming scheme in your other files. Put it in the same folder as the skin texture and the .veh file.

The same goes with the helmet, except I believe the helmet skin can be had here (http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Helmet%20Template%20%5BHi-Res%5D). I haven't tried the helmet skin yet, but that's next on my list.

doug

Doug Carter
10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I forgot, I have the helmet template (http://www.apexspeed.com/doug/rfactor/skin_templates/rFactor_helmet_template.zip) on the ApexSpeed server, as well as the "wing" template for the SRF (http://www.apexspeed.com/doug/rfactor/skin_templates/srf/SRF_wing_template.bmp).

Doug Carter
10-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh, and a couple of new team cars while I'm at it...

Bob McCown
10-23-2008, 05:56 PM
OK, Ive got the WING template working... got penske yellow shocks now (are they legal in SRF?), and orange padding, but I cant get the helmet to work...

Hmm...

jstecher
10-24-2008, 01:13 PM
God damn you guys are too fricking talented! Everything looks awesome and I have to thank Doug for making my sweet ass car.

Bob McCown
10-24-2008, 02:50 PM
OK, managed to get 2 laps in a row without ending up in the quicksand in T2. Getting better, but < 2:00 is eluding me.

f2000keith
10-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Are you still using a broken joystick Bob? Once you get the G25, you'll be golden!

Bob McCown
10-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately, yes. The G25 is on a brown truck somewhere between there and here *shakes fist angrily*.

I've got the stick itself sorted out, but its twitchy in a straight line. There's no more adjustment in it left. Its a good old flight stick, but a bit odd for racing. Maybe I can fiddle with settings in the control panel.

Bob McCown
10-24-2008, 03:23 PM
OK, fiddled with some sensitivity settings. Posted a 1:57.841. Hopefully this'll get better with a wheel.

Stack
10-24-2008, 03:34 PM
God damn you guys are too fricking talented! Everything looks awesome and I have to thank Doug for making my sweet ass car.

I need some tips on how to get my logos and add-ons "crisper". I've watched the you tube tutorial on the glossy/flat stuff I can't count how many times, and I still don't get it :miffed:

Bob McCown
10-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Yea, I cant figure out the alpha channel thingy. I dont know what to do just to make my paint job not shiny. Its not very clear on what to do! :mad:

Stack
10-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Yea, I cant figure out the alpha channel thingy. I dont know what to do just to make my paint job not shiny. Its not very clear on what to do! :mad:

I think I know the theory behind it, I just can't seem to get it done.

calsrf39
10-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm in, for most of the races. Can I use a default paintjob that comes with the download?

Caleb Marklein

jstecher
10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey Caleb welcome to the party!! Of course you can use the default skin thats not a problem at all. I was planning on it until Doug was nice enough to build mine.

calsrf39
10-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Ok thanks, now how do I get 5 seconds a lap faster?

Doug Carter
10-25-2008, 03:09 PM
When you find out, can you let me know?

Bob McCown
10-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I found 4 seconds stiffing up the rear suspension and sway bar. The rest, I hope, will come once I get my G25.

calsrf39
10-26-2008, 08:59 AM
I stiffened the rear to get rid of the push also and got into the 1:49s. But I can't seem to be very consistant and don't think I can get much faster. Maybe tire pressures?

Doug Carter
10-26-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm not one of the "fast guys" but for me, screwing with the default tire pressures made the car worse.

I stiffened the rear bar all the way, the rear shocks as much as they would go, and made the rest of my fine tuning with front & rear toe adjustments.

Oh, and I also figured out the helmet skin... :) Still needs some more tweaks before the official skins are due.

http://www.apexspeed.com/doug/rfactor/helmets/dc_helmet_001.jpg

Bob McCown
10-26-2008, 09:40 AM
I upped rear pressure a bit and it lets the rear slide out more. Got another second, and I'm getting more consistent. Still tail-end-Charlie in speed, though.

/me grumbles at UPS

OOH! How do you do the helmet? Nice lookin!

Doug Carter
10-26-2008, 10:30 AM
OOH! How do you do the helmet? Nice lookin!

Use the helmet skin I posted earlier, then convert to a .dds file like a car skin, then name it something with your name you can find, and drop it in the ProgramFiles/rFactor/GameData/Helmets folder.

The hard part is lining up the beanie with the rest of the lid, if you are doing a helmet scheme that isn't "bands" or rings around the circumference.

jstecher
10-26-2008, 11:02 AM
I am by no means and expert and this track having run it last year requires a good deal of laps to get right and be fast so I think you guys are rocking at the lap times your turning for the first time being out here.

I have on my setup the front full soft and the rear full stiff (bar and springs). Outside of that I haven't changed anything. The tire pressures I tweaked but it made me slower as the tires went off real quick. Obviously for some tracks I'll have to tweak but her default seems to work.

From running with everyone out there and knowing where I am still loosing time to Skeen T1 is a huge chunk of laptime and almost everyone including myself is braking way to late for it and fighting through the turn with the fear of the gravel. The next spot is T6/7. In T6 if you brake just tap it otherwise lift, turn in (downshift) and hammer it with the wheel cranked. If you hit the apex you can stay flat...otherwise you might have to feather. T7 (if one of the Carter bros dont take out the braking marker) brake between the 100 and 50 and then crank in hard nailing the inside curbing...if you do it right you can got to full throttle before apex and hold it.

I am by no means and expert so take it for what its worth guys but just passing along the things I learned from guys faster than me. :)

Doug Carter
10-26-2008, 11:04 AM
...if one of the Carter bros dont take out the braking marker

That's called "race strategy."

Bob McCown
10-26-2008, 12:50 PM
I cant figure out Stirling Bend (the sharp lefthander at the end). It seems straightforward enough, but Im always drifting way wide of the apex.

PaulL
10-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Pencil me in, please.
I'll see if I can make it.

Paul Leonard

f2000keith
10-26-2008, 04:11 PM
We should be somewhere around 20 drivers now... Sweet!!

if one of the Carter bros dont take out the braking marker

Just for that I'm going to take out every braking marker I can on the first lap! :p

jstecher
10-26-2008, 04:14 PM
I cant figure out Stirling Bend (the sharp lefthander at the end). It seems straightforward enough, but Im always drifting way wide of the apex.

Brake early and get my turn in done ridding the inside curbs on the throttle using the camber of the turn.

Keith just dont use me as a braking marker and we'll be good. :P

kydiwl
10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Ok thanks, now how do I get 5 seconds a lap faster?

Drive like Skeen.

Mike_B
10-26-2008, 08:39 PM
So how do I upload my car?
http://www.yippee38.net/images/rFactor/Car.jpg

Doug Carter
10-26-2008, 09:14 PM
You will have to send the .dds skin file and .veh description file to John, or wait until he posts the FTP information to upload it to the server. There will be a whole skin pack for the league racers to download to have everyone's skins included, but I don't think that will happen for the first week's races.

s

jstecher
10-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll have the ftp site up for folks to upload their cars to right after the first race and we will start using the skins for the second race onward. I just wanted to make sure everyone could get in and race for the first week and then start tweaking and letting folks have their own skins. One step at a time. :) I can't wait to have all of us out there...I mean 20 people racing will be great.

jstecher
10-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Ok so I lied. Keith and I talked about it tonight and in order to deal with pitbox issues we will have everyone using custom skins upload them and WE WILL USE THEM FOR THE FIRST RACE TUESDAY. If you have a skin please upload it to ftp: www.trackpedia.com user: rfactor password: rfactor

The download pack of all the skins will be available Tuesday morning and will need to be installed by race time. It should be as simple as unzipping the zip file I will post the link too.

Mike_B
10-26-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm assuming we include the wing and .veh files. Right?

jstecher
10-26-2008, 11:27 PM
yeah zip up everything you have and then upload it with your name as the filename so I can keep them all separate.

Mike_B
10-26-2008, 11:55 PM
yeah zip up everything you have and then upload it with your name as the filename so I can keep them all separate.

What about helmets?

jstecher
10-26-2008, 11:57 PM
zip em if ya got em. Never did them before but am sure we'll figure it out.

Doug Carter
10-27-2008, 08:06 AM
D'oh!! I thought I had another week to tweak things... crap. :stupid:

kydiwl
10-27-2008, 08:24 AM
D'oh!! I thought I had another week to tweak things... crap. :stupid:

Same here. Guess I'll have to get it wrapped up tonight. :miffed:

Won't be pretty, but I was at a race this weekend where there were several SRFs running and most of them have very simple paint schemes, so mine will be authentic, at the least. :p

Lemming
10-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Not sure I'll have time before racetime to deal with a skin, can I just run the default that's currently on the car?

Bob McCown
10-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Mine's up there.

jstecher
10-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Not sure I'll have time before racetime to deal with a skin, can I just run the default that's currently on the car?

Yeah if you dont have a skin you can just run whats on the car no problem at all.

Sorry for the last minute change everyone requesting them by tonight. Keith and I didn't really think about the pitbox problem (yes Stack brought it up years ago but I am an idiot) until last night circa 11pm. I apologize and maybe what well do is have an update midseason for those that want to beautify more.

kydiwl
10-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Sounds like a winner. I'll slap some numbers on mine and get it posted asap, tonight after softball. Then I can spend some time getting it right and post it for the update, later.

Lemming
10-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Great, anyone got a tutorial on making a skin? I saw a link somewhere but can't find it.

Yeah if you dont have a skin you can just run whats on the car no problem at all.

Sorry for the last minute change everyone requesting them by tonight. Keith and I didn't really think about the pitbox problem (yes Stack brought it up years ago but I am an idiot) until last night circa 11pm. I apologize and maybe what well do is have an update midseason for those that want to beautify more.

Doug Carter
10-27-2008, 09:39 AM
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/skins/spraybooth.cfm

Forgive my inexperience, but what would the "pitbox problem" be without skins? Would it be when there are multiple cars on the track using the same skin?

Yeah, that would be a problem.

HawkBat
10-27-2008, 10:13 AM
I am almost positive that I am going to miss the first race. These stupid school papers and such. I do not even have my wheel yet, so unless I can turn a car with my mind I won't be driving. Plus I think I should get a bunch of practice in so I don't just join in the race and wreck people, that would be bad.

Stack
10-27-2008, 10:37 AM
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/skins/spraybooth.cfm

Forgive my inexperience, but what would the "pitbox problem" be without skins? Would it be when there are multiple cars on the track using the same skin?

Yeah, that would be a problem.

No, it's people using the same skin which in turn means you're using the same pit box... which can be a problem when it comes time for pit stops

Hanewf_83
10-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Damn, it's starting already.
I'm in for the challenge, but I just finished the process of moving back to North America earlier than expected (long story) and am trying to get everything straightened out. I hope to have decent internet within a week or two, and finally get my wheel out of the box for the first time since Blackhawk last season (April I think it was...soo long ago)
I like these cars, a good middle ground for the open wheelers and tin tops to meet.

I guess I'll let Mike win the first few rounds :cheers:

I just had to say that :)

Skeen
10-27-2008, 01:50 PM

I just had to say that :)

Nice. You better hurry up man.

f2000keith
10-27-2008, 05:43 PM

First post in a while and he's already got me going to buy heavy duty poop waders... :p:p:p

Welcome back Ty. :)

billy
10-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Well,
It works. Playing at 1920 x 1200, looks awesome. Just need a little more, err, practise.

Is the server down? Can't see it in the list

Skeen
10-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Click the blue + button, enter: keithcarter.homeip.net

Lemming
10-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Where's the skin template? My wife works with Photoshop so she's going to make mine :cheers:

kydiwl
10-27-2008, 08:13 PM
the skin template is in the rfactor/gamedata/vehicles/srf/templates directory on your computer

Stack
10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Where's the skin template? My wife works with Photoshop so she's going to make mine :cheers:
If you look in the game data/vehicles/SRF, I think you'll find it in there.

-Stacy

kydiwl
10-27-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm having trouble connecting to the ftp server, Is the info in post 130 on page 13 correct? It just says to ftp to trackpedia.com, but I'm not asked for credentials and I don't have privileges.

Lemming
10-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm having trouble connecting to the ftp server, Is the info in post 130 on page 13 correct? It just says to ftp to trackpedia.com, but I'm not asked for credentials and I don't have privileges.

No, go to keithcarter.homeip.net code is rfactor

jstecher
10-27-2008, 08:40 PM

ftp www.trackpedia.com user: rfactor pass: rfactor just worked fine for me from the dos command line.

kydiwl
10-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Been a while since I've had to do that. but ftp from the command prompt worked just fine.

Thanks John

I won't be able to make the first race. We won our softball game tonight so we advanced to the second round, which is Tuesday night. Good luck everyone.

billy
10-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Well clearly the iMac is inferior as all I could manage was a 1:50.3 on my first session. Gotta be the equipment, obviously...

Doug Carter
10-27-2008, 10:49 PM
There's at least a 1:46 in a Mac... and wirelessly, no less. :p

Skeen
10-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Vista 64 bit is the secret.

Lemming
10-28-2008, 08:45 AM
A few questions.

1. If someone gets stuck in the gravel, are they just to sit there for the entire race if they cannot get out? I'm assuming that you cannot/should not hit the ESC key?

2. I will not get my skin done today. Since a few people were running the #83, I switched to the Hippy racing car. Anyone else running this skin?

3. Any other general rules that need to be put out there for us newbies?

Warpedcow
10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
I have no custom skin, I've been running the US NAVY car and plan to continue running that one unless someone tells me otherwise... where is the skin download pack?

Bob McCown
10-28-2008, 08:55 AM
A few questions.

1. If someone gets stuck in the gravel, are they just to sit there for the entire race if they cannot get out? I'm assuming that you cannot/should not hit the ESC key?

I was wondering this one myself.

Bob McCown
10-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Hey, should we have a thread where we can post/get MoTeC data files?

jstecher
10-28-2008, 09:41 AM
I will have the skin pack posted and directions on how to install it by 6pm CST which gives everyone 2 hours to get it installed and connect to the server to make sure it works.

I'll answer the other racing related questions in a few minutes here once I wrap up some real work. :)

Lemming
10-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Who can work, we have a race tonight :D

Bob McCown
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

>Type: Package
>Status: Rescheduled
>Scheduled Delivery: 10/29/2008

No wheel today for me.

/me grumbles

f2000keith
10-28-2008, 11:40 AM
ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

>Type: Package
>Status: Rescheduled
>Scheduled Delivery: 10/29/2008

No wheel today for me.

/me grumbles

Ouch.. I'm feeling for ya Bob! I'm guessing you'll pick up several seconds just going to a wheel.

Skeen
10-28-2008, 12:30 PM
As for gravel traps, you should be able to get out by dumping the clutch a thousand times and inching out (or using neutral if you don't have a clutch). If it's not worth it to you, you can use ESC and retire early rather than sitting there.

John will have to confirm, but last year there was no pit speed limit penalty so you could go as fast as you wanted. Don't bother with the pit speed limiter. I would suggest practicing the pit-in sequence at least once before the race so you know what it looks like (there is a drop off on the painted green area that could mess you up).

In general, just race they way you would in person (some of you don't, I know). You wouldn't want to get wrecked, so try not to wreck others. It's a fairly long race and you should be able to make a clean pass. Can't win in it in T1L1, etc.

Lemming
10-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Good info. For blue flags when your being lapped, I'm assuming that the person being passed is to remain on line for consistency.

Doug Carter
10-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Some might use "point by" signals, such as "GO LEFT" or "GO RIGHT" and concede the corner. I will have a couple of buttons on my controller set up for this (quick chats), and I will try to point by faster cars if I see you there.

Looking forward to tonight... hope to see everyone there.

Lemming
10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Some might use "point by" signals, such as "GO LEFT" or "GO RIGHT" and concede the corner. I will have a couple of buttons on my controller set up for this (quick chats), and I will try to point by faster cars if I see you there.

I will look into that as well. Is there a manual or cheat sheet for rFactor controls?

f2000keith
10-28-2008, 01:57 PM

There may be others besides me that shut off the displayed chatting while on track, so people may not see what you're directing them to do with quick chats. In the last league some people weren't as considerate to hold all yapping until the last car is done. Best thing to do if you're being lapped by a faster car is to get off the main driving line well before the car is on your bumper (you get a blue flag way before someone is on you) if you're not in contention for position with anyone else. If you are racing with someone else for position and a faster car comes up on you both just maintain your line and don't do anything hasty or unpredictable.

Skeen
10-28-2008, 01:58 PM
If you go to the controller setup, you can define all the buttons on your controller. The "quick chats" are used for sending messages by the press of a button and you can change them to whatever you like.

On the subject of point bys, I think it's still best for the car being lapped to stay on line and point the passing car by off line (usually to the inside as you approach a corner).

Lemming
10-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Will there be qualifying tonight or will we be gridded based on our best lap time to date?

f2000keith
10-28-2008, 02:07 PM
The format guideline is located here:

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Trackpedia_rFactor_Challenge

Yes, there will be qualifying tonight and we will also do a short test session tonight only to make sure everthing goes well with the skins people are using. There is no organized practice though. The server will be open for practice before 8pm CST. At 8PM we will do a test session and if that goes ok, we will start with qualifying.

jstecher
10-28-2008, 02:29 PM
So to start off the sort of group rules we had last year here is the quick and dirty.

Race this baby like it was real life. Race tough but clean and have fun. Everyone last year did this really well and the only real issue we ever had was people running into the back of other cars at the start so just take it easy and remember you have to finish to win.

Qualifying:
Qualifying will start at 8PM CST sharp. Starting order will be determined by qualifying. If you are on your out lap be mindful of those on hot laps and stay off line.

Starts:
There will be a formation lap prior to the standing start. Take it easy and warm up the tires but don't go crazy as we have seen TONS of crashes here. Do no jump the start or you will be DQed.

Passing:
I agree 100% with Mike on staying online and letting the faster car around you offline. With these cars its nice of the person being lapped to lift a little. :)

I also ask that the over taking cars or cars lapping others be respectful of battles on the track. If your trying to pass a good battle for position take your time and don't interrupt the battle.

Crashes:
If you feel someone blatantly crashes you report it to Keith or I and we will go to the replay just like the real stewards. If you want the outcome on your side a few Ben Franklins always help. :)

Pitstops:
All the races are long enough that pitstops will be needed. There is no pit lane speed limit so dont worry about blasting down the pit. BUT if other cars are in the pit be mindful they will be leaving and could hit you. You must also follow the pit lane and cannot cut corners or a penalty will be assessed. All skins I have put together have each person share a pitbox with another possible car. So thus you might have pit stop conflicts. To eliminate this call for your pitstop (the 'S' button the keyboard is the default way to do this) which will get your crew ready for you. If the other car is in the box the pitcrew will not let you in.

Most Importantly:
HAVE A SHIT-TON of fun. We got tons of tracks coming up that fit all different skill levels. Don't worry if your slow on some tracks because i will put money on you being fast on another one that fits your driving style more. At the end of the day racing here will make you better next summer. :)

Doug Carter
10-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Good stuff.

I don't know about everyone else, but the only standing starts I have ever done are with R/C cars. Is there a chance for a 'practice' start before qualifying while we are all testing skins and everything else?

If the starts are not completely new to everyone, we might see less chaos at the start.

Skeen
10-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Good stuff.

I don't know about everyone else, but the only standing starts I have ever done are with R/C cars. Is there a chance for a 'practice' start before qualifying while we are all testing skins and everything else?

If the starts are not completely new to everyone, we might see less chaos at the start.

Do it offline with AI cars all you want.

Mike_B
10-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Good stuff.

I'm going to practice a few standing starts on my own with AI. Not only will that allow me to get the procedure figured out, but it will also confirm that I'm not getting any slowdowns with 19 other cars out there.

Mike_B
10-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm going to practice a few standing starts on my own with AI. Not only will that allow me to get the procedure figured out, but it will also confirm that I'm not getting any slowdowns with 19 other cars out there.

Ugh. It may be time to upgrade the CPU. I can only get about 25fps on the grid no matter how much I turn down graphics settings. Actually, I haven't found any graphics settings that make any difference. Maybe it will be better with human players rather than CPU dependent AI.

f2000keith
10-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Ugh Maybe it will be better with human players rather than CPU dependent AI.

I doubt it. I would look into turning down the number of cars your card actually draws. There is a draw ahead and draw behind option which will let you turn down the total number of cars you PC paints at one time. I would do 3-4 cars ahead and 1 or 2 behind. You can also try and drop down your DirectX setting if you're using DX8 or DX9 to DX7.

Stack
10-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Good info. For blue flags when your being lapped, I'm assuming that the person being passed is to remain on line for consistency.

Thats certainly how I prefer it!! :clap:
(Not that I pass too many people)

Also... be extremely careful when re-entering the track after an off, please don't rush it and come on track perpendicular to it... drive beside it, check your mirrors, just like in real life.

jstecher
10-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Try turning down the amount of visible cars Mike.

f2000keith
10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Also... be extremely careful when re-entering the track after an off, please don't rush it and come on track perpendicular to it... drive beside it, check your mirrors, just like in real life.

Yep, I totally agree... You can also make note of the ticker bar at the bottom to see if anyone is close to you for re-entering the track safely as well. I can't remember who it was but I nailed someone yesterday and took off their rear bodywork because they came back onto the track from a stop onto the racing line at the top of the right hand hill turn.

Warpedcow
10-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Ugh. It may be time to upgrade the CPU. I can only get about 25fps on the grid no matter how much I turn down graphics settings. Actually, I haven't found any graphics settings that make any difference. Maybe it will be better with human players rather than CPU dependent AI.

There is a setting in graphics options called Minimum FPS or something like that, basically it will lower detail to maintain whatever framerate you want. Worked great here even with 30+ visible cars.

jstecher
10-28-2008, 05:53 PM
The skins package is posted here: http://www.trackpedia.com/rFactor/trackpedia.zip Download it and unzip it/extract it to D:\rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\SRF\Teams where D:\rFactor is the directory you have rFactor installed in. This is typically C:\Program Files\rFactor if you took the defaults for install.

If anyone has any problems please post here ASAP and I will work with you to get them resolved. Keith will have the server functional around 6:30 CST for testing to begin if you are interested in making sure your skin works on the server.

Mike_B
10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
If anyone has any problems please post here ASAP and I will work with you to get them resolved. Keith will have the server functional around 6:30 CST for testing to begin if you are interested in making sure your skin works on the server.

Keep getting booted due to car not recognized. I saw the ApexSpeed car in game, but the rest seem to be default cars. A couple of other guys are having the same problem, but they posted in the other thread.

Bob McCown
10-29-2008, 09:01 AM
I think I need to do this. Its a moral imperative.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ePp6gAKlRs8

jstecher
10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Damn right I need that...where do I enter my bailout credit card number. :)

HawkBat
10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Ok well I should have all the required downloads in place. I was also wondering what addon's do you run and such. I have never done rFactor so this is all new to me.

Also John any tips for me on doing my own skin or something, one problem is I guess you need photoshop, I do not have that. Any suggestions?

Stack
10-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Yep, I totally agree... You can also make note of the ticker bar at the bottom to see if anyone is close to you for re-entering the track safely as well. I can't remember who it was but I nailed someone yesterday and took off their rear bodywork because they came back onto the track from a stop onto the racing line at the top of the right hand hill turn.

Here's another tip... When everyone is configuring your in-game buttons, find the LCD Mode option and set it to a button on your steering wheel. This will allow you to scroll through the various LCD displays while you are racing without having to reach up to your keyboard. One of the displays gap times between cars. So you can see how far behind or ahead of the next car you are, and if you are gaining/losing time to them.

jstecher
10-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Thats a really good tip Stack...I think I went two wheels off twice last night clicking to adjust that screen.

tifosi
10-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Ok well I should have all the required downloads in place. I was also wondering what addon's do you run and such. I have never done rFactor so this is all new to me.

Also John any tips for me on doing my own skin or something, one problem is I guess you need photoshop, I do not have that. Any suggestions?

Chris do what I did for graphic software on a budget. Get the GIMP! It's free and it does everything I've needed to do.

Dave

http://www.gimp.org/

:cheers:

Mike_B
10-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Chris do what I did for graphic software on a budget. Get the GIMP! It's free and it does everything I've needed to do.

Dave

http://www.gimp.org/

:cheers:

++

I did my skin with The Gimp. Also, make sure you have the DDS plugin (allows you to save it in the proper format). You can get that here for Windows: http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/download.php?filename=gimp-dds-win32 Unzip that file into C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins (assuming you install GIMP into your c:\program files directory).

Some tips I learned from creating a skin in GIMP.

Download the manual and install it locally. It's not very good, but it can get you going.
Use the tutorial at rFactor Central (http://www.rfactorcentral.com/skins/spraybooth.cfm).
Also, there is great information (especially on the correct use of color) here: http://collier-racing.com/ILMS/Painting_Guide.htm.
Save frequently in the default GIMP format (.xcf or something like that)
When ready to convert, use Image (from menu), Merge Visible Layers (make sure all layers you don't want in your skin are invisible). Select "Clipped to Image" and "Discard Invisible Layers." Then save it as a .dds file. Use BC1/DXT1 compression, and make sure you select Generate Mipmaps.

HawkBat
10-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Um ok thanks. Not sure if I will still have a clue what to do exactly and such but I will give it a shot. ... most ugly car ever lol.

Bob McCown
10-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Chris, if you have an idea for a skin, email me, and Ill build it for you.

Lemming
10-31-2008, 11:52 AM
So, will all the races this season be run on a sunny day with dry track or will there be some rain races? Not that I'm any good in the rain, just wondering?

Bob McCown
10-31-2008, 11:53 AM
So, will all the races this season be run on a sunny day with dry track or will there be some rain races? Not that I'm any good in the rain, just wondering?

Stop that!:grumble:

Stack
10-31-2008, 11:59 AM

I know it was contemplated last "season" but I don't think we did it. Main issue I have with it is that the rain physics are quite unrealistic from what I remember.

Lemming
10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Stop that!:grumble:

I just wanted to know if I should start practicing in the rain :p

f2000keith
10-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes, as Stack said. The rain physics just make the entire track surface slippery. There is no rain line. Hopefully the address that in rF2, but for now our races will be dry.

jstecher
10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
I lot of the cars also dont have rain tires (SRF included I believe) so it just isn't a good situation. So we'll play here just like all my race days will be next year the sun will be shinning and the pavement dry. :)

Mad Mike
11-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I've been through most if not all the threads regarding the TP rFactor league, dusted off the Momo FF and have it working, I downloaded rFactor along with the SRFs and the TP-league tracks, I plan to d/l gimp to see if I have any luck with a re-skin so I guess I'm on board but I'm still left with a few questions and comments:
- My first race weekend in a Spec Racer was of the Renault variety some years ago - in the 00 car that ran in the final SR RunOffs competition which was taken out early with a smack in the rear that broke off a lateral bar mounting bracket. We welded a piece of square steel tubing to the chassis, drilled a hole in that, wedged in and then bolted the link to it, eyeballed the settings and off I took to the track. Despite all that I found getting up to speed in a REAL SR was way, way, WAY easier than these virtual racers!
- That said, do I need do more than announce my plans to compete like I just did here?
- I had no luck with ISIBABYFACTORY code mentioned on ApexSpeed - whattaya suppose I'm doing wrong?
- Anyone here have experience with doing a skin in GIMP yet? Care tyo tutor a graphically-challenged (function before form, ya know) TPer?

It seems like I had more questions than this but I can't think of them all of a sudden, so let's start with these.

I'm looking forward to racing with ya'all next week!

Mossie
11-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey Mike, I think its ISI_BABYFACTORY.
Do you think the handling of the sim is similar to the real cars? i.e. lots of push.

Mad Mike
11-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Hey Mike, I think its ISI_BABYFACTORY.
Do you think the handling of the sim is similar to the real cars? i.e. lots of push.

I'll try that spelling next time I fire up rFactor. Thanks!

I only ever ran that one race (which is why I claim to be undefeated in Spec Racer;)) and it was 10 years ago but I remember the car being quite neutral, a lot of fun to drive, even more fun to race in the midst of a gaggle of other SRs, SRFs and Spec Toyotas and something a sedan racer like me found to border on sensory overload - the wind, the smells, the heat washing off the car your tucked under and the dust, grass, dirt and rocks that bounce off your face shield was pretty memorable stuff thanks to the comparably sterile environment of racing a tin top!

http://www.realautosport.com/pics/RoadRace/SpecMM03sm.jpg

That's me in the orange 00 - that SRF and I ran like that for many laps, me outbraking and outrunning him in the corners and him pounding my ass on the straights. Hmmm - maybe the SRFs are prone to plowing ...

Todd
11-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Hello everyone. I just recently ran across your rfactor winter league and decided to become a member at Trackpedia after visiting this forum. I was wondering if it is too late to join the league races you are running for the 08 winter league? I would be interested in participating if itís not too late and I have friend who I think would also like to join as well.

Doug Carter
11-08-2008, 07:49 AM
C'mon in, the water is fine! :clap:

More cars is always better than less cars. I think there is a final deadline for personalized skins coming up though, so if you want your own scheme, you might have to hurry. I think it's after Sebring if I'm not mistaken.

Todd
11-08-2008, 09:23 AM
C'mon in, the water is fine! :clap:

More cars is always better than less cars. I think there is a final deadline for personalized skins coming up though, so if you want your own scheme, you might have to hurry. I think it's after Sebring if I'm not mistaken.

In that case consider me in. What else do I need to do for registration?

Bob McCown
11-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Well, there's the $250 fee to the "Keep Bob Racing in 2009" fund. :D

f2000keith
11-08-2008, 10:31 AM
In that case consider me in. What else do I need to do for registration?

All you really need to do is read the Wiki for the league (http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Trackpedia_rFactor_Challenge) to get everything you need to know. I would also join the server at least the night before the event to make sure you don't get any mismatch errors so you have time to correct any issues. In the league we drop your lowest 5 races in order to keep people interested if they can't make all of the races which means well for you since you missed the first two events. If you get everything together you can run with us this Tuesday at Sebring. Other than that just show up and you'll be included in the league. When setting up a profile in rFactor, it's always good to use your full name to prevent any possible confusion if someone has a similar name.

Todd
11-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys. I am hoping to run with you at Sebring if I can get up to speed quickly enough. Any suggestions on setup that might make preperation a little quicker would be appreciated.

f2000keith
11-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Here is setup info from Skeen (top of the time charts).

http://www.trackpedia.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45765&postcount=29

guybo
11-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I read about this league over at Ars Technica. Mt Tuesday night Historix league kind of fell apart, so I would like to give you guys a shot.

Skeen
11-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Guybo! I always thought that would be a good name for a pet (not trying to imply anything)! :)

Would love to have you out with us for the races. Make sure to download the skin pack and get on the server to test everything before race time. More info here in case you haven't seen it. (http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Trackpedia_rFactor_Challenge)

guybo
11-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I have logged on successfully after installing the mod and skinpack. But only 4 skins are available to use. Is that normal?

f2000keith
11-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Welcome Guybo! I was the one who posted it on Ars (call-911).. You should be able to pick any skin, but you should try to pick one that nobody else is running. If you have too many people using the same skin it can cause pit stall issues when everyone is on at the same time. Best thing to do is not to use any of the skins included in the skin pack and check the hotlaps page for the teams that others are using and use something else. That would help to minimize the issues you have when there are 20+ other cars on the server. You can also submit your own skin if you want, but you've got less than a week to submit that to John. These cars are a blast to race!

Mike_B
11-09-2008, 08:36 PM
I read about this league over at Ars Technica. Mt Tuesday night Historix league kind of fell apart, so I would like to give you guys a shot.

Hey Guybo. I'm from Ars also.

guybo
11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I did 20-some laps in these cars today. Sebring is not my best track, but these are fun to drive. I can see these cars being fun to race, too. I have the next 2 days off so I have some time to get familiar with the car, Tuesday night ought to be fun.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Grintch
11-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Hello everyone. I just recently ran across your rfactor winter league and decided to become a member at Trackpedia after visiting this forum. I was wondering if it is too late to join the league races you are running for the 08 winter league? I would be interested in participating if it’s not too late and I have friend who I think would also like to join as well.

Hi, I am the friend Todd was talking about. I am going to try to make tonight, but I am in the middle of reinstalling windows & rFactor, which may bump me to an Atlanta debut.

P.S. I recently picked up a used Spec Racer and hope the virtual seat time will help improve my learning curve with the real thing.

Bruce Funderburg
Spec Racer Ford #95

f2000keith
11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Sounds good Bruce! Welcome to the league! Yes, just installing XP and rFactor tonight may be asking a bit much to get everything configured properly and up to speed in time for tonight. Don't worry, you'll still have two more lowest score point drops (total of 5) for the league in order to still be competitive in the points chase. I lost count of how many drivers we have now, but I'm guessing around 26 or 27 now... Wow!!!

HawkBat
11-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Well Grintch I know how much of a pain reinstalling windows can be, good luck. Lets hope we can you see tonight. And grats on your purchase of a SRF.

And guys sorry about being such a grump and getting pissed at times. Life has been very very hard lately with the unexpected passing of my dad a few months ago and having to deal with all the lawyers and legal stuff while being in school is really taking a toll on my more and more every day. This seems to be my only escape, and yet is really hard cause it was something I would have loved for us both to do.

Well good luck to us all tonight, we are going to need it.

Grintch
11-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Anyone else having a problem with a "grid" sky at Road Atlanta?

I am running the Lite version of rFactor, and have reinstalled the track 3 times.

Hopefully with more driving time I won't be a rolling road block here.

Doug Carter
11-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Might be a graphics or detail setting for your video settings. Try upping the quality settings for texture detail or circuit detail, or maybe special effects and see what it does.

Bob McCown
11-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Or maybe they're roofing over RA and that's part of the beams for it?

Skeen
11-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah, this version didn't have sky IIRC. It's the best version of the track though.

Grintch
11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah, this version didn't have sky IIRC. It's the best version of the track though.

Todd has sky on this track, but not me (I have a big geo dome). Only thing I can think of is that it wants to use a default sky that is part of the full rFactor install but not the Lite install.

Can anyone point me to the track developers? They could probably tell me the missing file.

Opps, looks like this is being discussed on the week 4 - Atlanta thread. Guess we should continue the discussion there.

Grintch
11-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Any chance of an update to the SRF mod? I would really like to see the optional shorter top gear (0.77 instead of 0.73, that I think everyone uses) and rebound adjustable shocks of the real car.

Mad Mike
11-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Todd has sky on this track, but not me (I have a big geo dome). Only thing I can think of is that it wants to use a default sky that is part of the full rFactor install but not the Lite install.

Can anyone point me to the track developers? They could probably tell me the missing file.

Opps, looks like this is being discussed on the week 4 - Atlanta thread. Guess we should continue the discussion there.

I fixed my freaky sky-dome thingy with display settings recommended in that other thread ...

But now some of the clouds look dark & brooding like they threaten rain ... :p

Mad Mike
11-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Any chance of an update to the SRF mod? I would really like to see the optional shorter top gear (0.77 instead of 0.73, that I think everyone uses) and rebound adjustable shocks of the real car.

As long as we're all racing the same spec machinery does it really make a difference?

Grintch
11-14-2008, 02:50 PM
As long as we're all racing the same spec machinery does it really make a difference?

Well I am doing this partially for practice, so the more accurate the car is to the real thing, the better. You would be hard pressed to find a real Spec Racer Ford that isn't using the 0.77 top gear.

But no, it doesn't REALLY matter. But the shocks might allow for tuning away the push, and the lower 5th would help with the slow top gear acceleration. Faster=funner.

Stack
11-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Well I am doing this partially for practice, so the more accurate the car is to the real thing, the better.

(Sorry John, I can't help it) ...

iRacing has an SRF coming down the Pike, not sure when it'll be released though.

f2000keith
11-14-2008, 04:03 PM
We'd be the wrong people to ask for an update to the mod. The maker is listed on rFactorCentral, but I'm not sure why the entire SRF community didn't catch the errors in realism since some of them helped to develop the handling of the car.

f2000keith
11-14-2008, 04:07 PM
(Sorry John, I can't help it) ...

iRacing has an SRF coming down the Pike, not sure when it'll be released though.

Oh, and I'm sure that iRacing will gladly take another payment for that as well... :p

Maybe when this league is over, I'll do a few months to see if I like it any more than I did when I was in the beta. I read that you spent over $200+on iRacing already, Stack. Is it really almost 10x better than rFactor?

Stack
11-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Maybe when this league is over, I'll do a few months to see if I like it any more than I did when I was in the beta. I read that you spent over $200+on iRacing already, Stack. Is it really almost 10x better than rFactor?

Well when you put it THAT way ;)

I don't know if I could say definitively yes it is... but it's better enough that I haven't regretted paying that much thus far. And like I said... that money should last me through my next two license levels except for maybe $30-$45 for missing tracks.

It's not like you have to pay that every year... once you buy the tracks/cars, the updates for them are free. So the longer you play, the less "per month" you're spending... right? LOL

That money pays for a LOT less "hassle" overall, and that's worth a lot to me. Other people might feel differently.

It's most glaring shortfall is the inability to race against friends ... and thats why you see me here, racing with you guys in rFactor. But the day they make that available (if they do, they might not) you better believe I'll be hounding each and every one of you :D

HawkBat
11-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Stack I be more then willing to let you hound me; your just going to pay for it.:)

Doug Carter
11-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Anyone else get bounced from the server tonight? That's 2 nights in a row for me... and I'm getting tired of not getting my laps in while I can. Right in prime time, too. I can't stay up 'til all hours of the nights like some of you college kids. :p

Keith, did you make any of those ping limit changes yet? I see 2 cars on the server now, but there were 4 or 5 a few minutes ago, and now I can't get back on at all. :stupid:

Stack
11-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Stack I be more then willing to let you hound me; your just going to pay for it.:)

Shutting up about it now :D

f2000keith
11-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Keith, did you make any of those ping limit changes yet? I see 2 cars on the server now, but there were 4 or 5 a few minutes ago, and now I can't get back on at all. :stupid:

The ping limit value hasn't been set. I'm not even sure it can be set. It was a setting from the Nascar HEAT days and I got confused...:o The other tweaks I made should help though, but they don't have anything to do with ping limits. I'd still advise everyone to turn down their bandwidth on the client side though to 64k. If you don't and you get bounced from the server don't come crying to me.

Bob McCown
11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
I *STILL* can't get the digital dash to show up when I'm on Keith's server. It shows up locally just fine.

Ive tried selling, and re-buying the car, then buying and installing the dash. No luck.

Anyone have ANY clue why this might be happening? Is there something in the skin file I have to set/unset/jigger/screw with?

:stupid::grumble::mad::confused::miffed:

HawkBat
11-29-2008, 06:11 PM
I know many of us have thought of what tracks we can run at or like to. One of them that came up was Blackhawk Farms. Many of us have been to the the track and or also raced there.

I know there was a little talk about making the track and such. I was curious how serious would be about doing this? I was talking with my Grandfather during Thanksgiving. He does site surveying and such and they also have access to a laser scanner and such. If we are serious about wanting to make the track, he said they could help us out and good chance to do a scan/survey of the track.

I just thought I put this out so we can get an idea if we like to try it out and such.

Mike_B
11-30-2008, 12:04 AM
I know there was a little talk about making the track and such. I was curious how serious would be about doing this? I was talking with my Grandfather during Thanksgiving. He does site surveying and such and they also have access to a laser scanner and such. If we are serious about wanting to make the track, he said they could help us out and good chance to do a scan/survey of the track.

I just thought I put this out so we can get an idea if we like to try it out and such.

If you were going to do that, do Meadowdale Raceway (or what's left of it).

ProCoach
12-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Fellows, can a n00b join in at Elkhart? :D

HawkBat
12-21-2008, 12:26 PM
yeah I am sure you can join us at Road America hell you could join us now and get some laps under your belt.

Mike_B
12-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah. It's not too late to join us for Putnam.

Doug Carter
12-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Any current points standings updates?

jstecher
12-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Now that I have the site up and running after the migration I'll get them update tonight or tomorrow morning.