PDA

View Full Version : iRacing?

Stack
06-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Anyone else been getting iRacing's newsletters and updates for YEARS now with no game to show for it? I'm starting to get pissed... this thing had better be frickin' worth the damn wait :stupid:

www.iracing.com

kydiwl
06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
:cheers:

billy
06-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Is it really going to get much better than rFactor? I dunno.

Stack
06-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Is it really going to get much better than rFactor? I dunno.

To hear them talk, it'll be the be-all-end-all of realistic racing sims

mrepka
06-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I was big into Grand Prix legends back in the day, and could'nt wait for what was sure to be the next best thing http://www.racing-legends.com/ All just a bunch of pretty pictures and then nothing further... ever... Somtimes they just dont finish these things.

Norseman
06-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I was big into Grand Prix legends back in the day, and could'nt wait for what was sure to be the next best thing http://www.racing-legends.com/ All just a bunch of pretty pictures and then nothing further... ever... Somtimes they just dont finish these things.

Hey there, new guy here. Hope you guys don't mind if I pop in here and give my input. Don't be fooled by what happened with Racing Legends and think that iRacing will be the same kind of deal. I know of only one or two people who ever claimed to have seen RL up and running, while many of us have witnessed iRacing in all it's glory. Plus, iRacing has a HUGE beta test program going right now with sim racers (and real racers) from all over the world running it online. And each and everyone of those guys will tell you it is amazing.

rFactor will indeed live on, but iRacing will be setting a new standard that all other sims will need to now strive for if they intend to survive.

jstecher
06-07-2008, 11:23 AM
I am not sure of the release date but I can confirm the beta is in progress. Not sure when its going to release however. I still am stuck on rFactor because of its open platform and the massive amount of tracks.

TailWagger
06-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey there, new guy here. Hope you guys don't mind if I pop in here and give my input. Don't be fooled by what happened with Racing Legends and think that iRacing will be the same kind of deal...
iRacing's offices are right down the street from me. I know and run with someone whos been working there for the past year or so. Keep running into my friend and we keep meaning to get together for lunch someday. He promised me a chance to play with the system. Maybe I'll try to get over there in the next few weeks.

Skeen
06-08-2008, 11:42 PM
The iRacing tracks are way better than anything I've seen. I've got my (small) complaints about other areas, but I'm very impressed with the response to criticism and would expect many of these things to change. Some of them probably have, because I have not gotten on the game since a big update last week.

f1rocks
06-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Hey there, new guy here. Hope you guys don't mind if I pop in here and give my input. Don't be fooled by what happened with Racing Legends and think that iRacing will be the same kind of deal. I know of only one or two people who ever claimed to have seen RL up and running, while many of us have witnessed iRacing in all it's glory. Plus, iRacing has a HUGE beta test program going right now with sim racers (and real racers) from all over the world running it online. And each and everyone of those guys will tell you it is amazing.

rFactor will indeed live on, but iRacing will be setting a new standard that all other sims will need to now strive for if they intend to survive.

Is this THE Norseman?? Mr. Jack Ulsted?? Virtual Online Racers?

Brent Knoll here, I ran with you in the GPL days. I think I took some of your money at the USGP when we bet on pole times!!

Welcome aboard!!

jester911
06-28-2008, 06:34 AM
I was invited to join this by a beta tester. The main launch for the total public is very soon.

So far from what I have seen it is very good. Having a monthly bill for this thing is kind of a bummer though. I don't know that I want to pay 20 bucks a month plus so far they seem to be charging extra for extra tracks and cars not included in the initial signup. (which is most)

Just my .02

mrepka
06-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I was invited to join this by a beta tester. The main launch for the total public is very soon.

So far from what I have seen it is very good. Having a monthly bill for this thing is kind of a bummer though. I don't know that I want to pay 20 bucks a month plus so far they seem to be charging extra for extra tracks and cars not included in the initial signup. (which is most)

Just my .02

I would agree, the business model doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. The market for this type of thing is very niche, nothing like the market for MMORPG where you can draw millions of users, and a monthly subscription works. I for one will not pay to play a race sim, when there are others out there that are not.

jstecher
06-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Agree 100% Mark.

Hanewf_83
07-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Now part of the Euro crowd, I finally got to try it the other day at a friend...err...co-workers place the other night. Tracks look real nice, cars are decent, and driveable, but there are some minor issues that need to be resolved.

I also agree with the previous comments and can't see myself paying the monthly fee and probably won't change my oppinion even if they add way more cars and tracks to the offered program. It's good, but not as good as I was hoping

kydiwl
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm glad to see there's a consensus on the whole subscription thing. That's my biggest complaint. I enjoy rFactor and think pay once play many times is a better model than the pay to play model. I understand the whole paying for server maintenance and bandwidth and the such, but 20 dollars a month is a little steep. I might could stomach 4 - 5 dollars, if they have to use the pay to play model. Also, charging extra for additional tracks and cars just feels like a rip-off.

Stack
07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't disagree with the consensus... obviously, we'd all like to pay a little now, pay nothing later. And obviously the current SIM "model" works pretty well for us end-users... at the same time, we often have to chew through the gristle to get to the good stuff. I'm willing to give it a chance IF the sim demonstrates that it is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of realism and QUALITY of gameplay and competition.

I think the per-monthly model, if nothing else, will go a LONG way in filtering out 95% of all the hacks that are online ruining perfectly good online races. I'd pay for that.

jstecher
07-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Agree with ya Stack that filtering out the losers online is hard. Keith and I were talking about this at length the other night...the biggest problem I would like to overcome is getting everybody to sign up and pumped to race and then after race two when Skeen is 2 seconds a lap faster having everyone quit racing.

In real life folks keep showing up just to race but in the virtual world everyone just slowly tapers off.

Stack
07-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Agree with ya Stack that filtering out the losers online is hard. Keith and I were talking about this at length the other night...the biggest problem I would like to overcome is getting everybody to sign up and pumped to race and then after race two when Skeen is 2 seconds a lap faster having everyone quit racing.

In real life folks keep showing up just to race but in the virtual world everyone just slowly tapers off.

Well... thats another way to think about it... if people are paying monthly for it, they're more likely to KEEP playing to get the "money's worth" and maybe they'll stick around and battle for 2nd, 3rd, 4th... NOT last, etc.

That doesn't mean I like the idea of $240 a year... but $120... yeah, I'd probably give it a shot. I think they're offering pre-pay discouts right?

Hanewf_83
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
...when Skeen is 2 seconds a lap faster...

I was within half a second of him and would have raced AND beat him had I been able to compete.
Well... thats another way to think about it... if people are paying monthly for it, they're more likely to KEEP playing to get the "money's worth" and maybe they'll stick around and battle for 2nd, 3rd, 4th... NOT last, etc.

That doesn't mean I like the idea of $240 a year... but $120... yeah, I'd probably give it a shot. I think they're offering pre-pay discouts right?

If it was lower I might consider it. Still not sure if I'd have the time to get my money's worth out of it though. If I wasn't always traveling all over the damn globe maybe I could settle down and have some fun.

ProCoach
07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
I think it's worth every penny. It's a GREAT training tool. Plus, I can learn and teach set-up stuff. YMMV.

I also agree the price is high enough to keep the crashers out.

kydiwl
07-28-2008, 01:47 PM
I found this (http://www.simhq.com/_motorsports4/motorsports_121a.html) article on SimHQ.com. It says it's from June 9, 2008, so it should be fairly up-to-date. It shows some of the configuration screens and some in-game screenshots. I enjoyed reading about the racing rules, the menu options and the cars and tracks that will be available and what is supposed to be coming in the future.

I particularly found interesting, the fact that you have to earn your license. The way I understand it, some of us may not be able to race against the likes of Skeen and Ty. Not right away, at least. Novice drivers, like me, will be put into races with other novice drivers and until we can prove our capabilities won't be allowed to drive the faster, more powerful cars that the experienced drivers will prefer to race. This is a good thing, though, since it will help keep the crashers away from the serious racers. And we'll always have rFactor to allow more open rules.

ProCoach
07-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I found this (http://www.simhq.com/_motorsports4/motorsports_121a.html) article on SimHQ.com.

Novice drivers, like me, will be put into races with other novice drivers and until we can prove our capabilities won't be allowed to drive the faster, more powerful cars that the experienced drivers will prefer to race.

That's not it at all, IMO. It's that the server will "pair" you with a bunch of people turning similar lap times in similar cars so that each of you will have a RACE instead of the horizon job Mike is so fond of inflicting on everyone! <big grin, Mike!>

Kyle, if you want to come over to my house (near East Campus), you can demo my setup...

kydiwl
07-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Hey Peter,
I think we're saying the same thing, or at least that's what I tried to say. You probably have a better understanding of how it works than I do, since you're playing already. That was just the gist I got from the article. It talked about how clean driving would earn you points to advance to higher licenses. So, as I understood the article, that meant until you're good enough to drive without spinning out, hitting the walls, or hitting other drivers you wouldn't earn enough points to advance. I would think any of the expert sim or reality drivers would advance quickly and those of us who are new to this would advance a little slower. When I said "put" and "allowed" I meant by the server. But, like you said, similar drivers will be placed in races together, which makes it more of a contest.

I'd love to come over and take the sim for a test spin. I'll contact you through your website. Thanks

Skeen
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
It's easy to get a license, but you have a constantly-changing "score" based on how you drive. High finishes and fast times help, but it's mostly staying clean. Free practice and such don't give penalties, but you are docked points for spinning, dropping wheels, hitting walls, and touching other cars in qualifying, races, and TT. It's a pretty good system, but I'm not really a fan of the drop wheels rule. :p

Eric
07-29-2008, 09:43 AM
... but I'm not really a fan of the drop wheels rule. :p

Buwaah haha ha ha ha ha ha :lol:

jstecher
07-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Dropping wheels. Jesus do they make you go home for that one or move to the back?

Skeen
07-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Actually, drive in reverse while patting your head and rubbing your stomach.

ProCoach
07-30-2008, 05:54 AM
It's not that bad! :D I can get to the centerline of the car on the edge of the track. It's just "points."

Skeen
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
No, the game isn't bad at all. It was a joke about Setup more than iRacing. It seems the two-off rule has different boundaries for different areas of the track.

Stack
07-30-2008, 05:01 PM
I deleted my post asking about vids, cause like an idiot, I posted without first actually LOOKING for any vids... I found a few, but this is by far my favorite, and from what I see here, I will be paying for the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQDnXCB6kJ4&feature=related

m5rokit
08-08-2008, 02:57 PM
I know Divina Galica (Skip instructor and all around awesome driving gal) and she is now Dir. of partner relations. I put in an email to her regarding the system and what is going on. I'll post some info if I hear back.

Stack
08-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Finally got my invite, but it'll be a week or more before I can actually sit down and try it out... all my stuff is inaccessible cause of some floors being re-finished :(

Stack
08-09-2008, 06:59 PM
OK, I couldn't wait... I got my stuff out, set up a make-shift driving area and had at it. Overall, very easy to download, set up, and get to driving, although there are some confusing bits (or at least some unclear directions.)

Haven't raced any yet, and I won't until I get a better set up, but I was able to test out some stuff, and so far, I am quite impressed. I drove the Rookie versions of the Solstice and the Legends (I assume rookie means you can't change anything?) Had a good time and the game ran flawlessly. Default video set up is mid of the road (no shadows being the most glaring omission), but I haven't played with it yet.

Personally, I think I just might buy into (pun intended) the monthly charge thing, if it's something I play a lot.

ProCoach
08-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Go ahead and "test" drive the Formula Mazda at VIR and at Summit! Like sex, only lasts longer... :D

kydiwl
08-12-2008, 07:27 AM
I got my invite at the end of last week, too. I've been too busy playing to post here, though. So far, very impressive. The physics seem better than the other sims I've played and while at first there is no way to tweak the car, apparently as you progress to more advanced cars more of these options become available. I've already achieved the necessary 3.0 safety rating (SR) to move into the advanced solstice and, unlike the normal solstice, you can adjust the suspension settings on this one. I have to assume at this point the more advanced cars allow even more adjustment since I can't find any documentation on this subject.

After installing and playing for a while, the biggest criticism I had was the fps kept going to zero. I thought maybe it had something to do with the service, because I had never encountered this before. I searched the iRacing forum and found the answer. It turns out that it has to do with the way AMD implemented the clock on their dual-core processor, nothing to do with the sim. Someone had posted a link to an AMD optimizer and now my fps is solid. Now, my biggest criticism is the lack of a user guide. Although the forum is chock full of useful tidbits of information, it would be nice to have all the important stuff together.

The biggest praise I can give the sim is the way they set up the licensing. Controlled driving is given more emphasis than speed, at least in the rookie season. This encourages you to learn to drive the car right rather than just go fast, however you will be awarded more points the closer you are to the fastest time. I gained 0.06 SR points at Laguna Seca after 13 clean laps, but my times were in the 2:07 - 2:10 range. I gained 0.42 SR points with 2 incidents in 13 laps, but my times were 1:56.5 to 2:00. So while you can increase your SR by driving slowly and carefully, you will increase it faster if you can drive carefully and quickly.

Some have criticized the fact that you are penalized for going two wheels off. I haven't seen this to be an issue (maybe they changed the rule). I have noticed that two wheels over the gators will count as an incident and this seems fair. And going drastically off (half the car or more) with two wheels will count as an off. This may also become less stringent as you progress through the ranks, but again, I have no way to know for sure because it isn't documented anywhere.

I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to stick with this pay-to-play sim, but I think it is very well put together, and with the graduated promotion through the licenses and cars I can definitely see an addictiveness building.

Stack
08-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Ran my first TT and race last night :clap:

Did the Solstice at Laguna Seca time trial... the system averages your 4 quickest laps to determine your time trial time... I managed a 1:55.255 which I didn't think was too bad not having driven in-game much. My best lap was a 1:54.534.

Then I ran the legends car for a bit... time trialed it, qualified it, then raced it. Started the race in 9th, finished in 6th, one lap down. Had two contacts, one loss of control after somebody spun me out. This was on the Lanier circuit. I must say, it was pretty darn fun.

mrepka
08-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Advanced Legends Cup - Time Trial Overall Champion: Greger Huttu
Skip Barber Race Series - Overall Champion: Greger Huttu
Skip Barber Racing Series - Time Trial Overall Champion: Greger Huttu

There's a surpise.. Greger was kicken everyones collective behinds back in the GPL days too. Kid (or was at least when he started) must do nothing but drive sims all day long.

Stack
08-13-2008, 01:52 PM
There's a surpise.. Greger was kicken everyones collective behinds back in the GPL days too. Kid (or was at least when he started) must do nothing but drive sims all day long.

I get the feeling most of the early invites went out to hardcore sim racers. Are you on there Mark?

ProCoach
08-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Kid (or was at least when he started) must do nothing but drive sims all day long.

Must be nice! :D

mrepka
08-13-2008, 05:12 PM
I get the feeling most of the early invites went out to hardcore sim racers. Are you on there Mark?

Nope... I'm still not sold on it. The whole pay for play thing is too tough to swallow, I'll put that money into my real racing budget. It's all I can do to keep involoved with all the rFactor leagues by buddies run now, this sim would have to be leaps and bounds better then the others available to make the switch, and I so far, I just don't see it.

Hanewf_83
08-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Kid (or was at least when he started) must do nothing but drive sims all day long.
Must be nice! :D

Yeah, unfortunately I used to be somewhat like that, wake up, go to the gym and work out for a few hours, go to class, then head home and sim-racing for the rest of the night.

Sadly I've only turned the virtual wheel once since April, on the other hand, i've been turning an actual wheel a lot more, so I guess I can't complain. But it still sucks to be working soo much. Still getting used to a 60 hour work week.

mrepka
08-14-2008, 01:31 PM
..Still getting used to a 60 hour work week.

Lucky dog :D

Stack
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Looks like it's going live for everyone August 24th :clap:

gantmaniac
08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
I have been involved with iRacing since the beta test and I am COMPLETELY sold on this model...so much so that I have taken the year off of HPDE's and don't miss it one bit! I ended up building a new PC for it, buying the CST pedals, and the immersion is second to none. I am able to race a few times a week, when my schedule permits, rather than wait for a track day to come up. I have gotten several professional racers involved with it and they too are blown away by the realism. If anyone in the Twin Cities wants to try it out before committing to it, let me know and I'll arrange a test night.

Oh yeah, the other good thing is that my wife sure doesn't mind the money that we are saving this year by me not doing track events. :D

ProCoach
08-18-2008, 07:33 AM
I ended up building a new PC for it, buying the CST pedals

Todd's stuff is the best. :D

Can't wait for the wheel.

gantmaniac
08-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Todd's stuff is the best. :D

Can't wait for the wheel.
My G25 is really nice, but I'm with you...if he builds it I will buy!

TailWagger
08-18-2008, 09:24 AM
The iRacing guys brought a system to NHMS this past weekend and I got a chance to play with it. Its certainly the best system I've yet to see, the physics are good... especially after you stuff it into a wall and knock the rear suspension off. I found it occasionally is quite amazing in that under braking, I could almost feel like I was decelerating.

Nevertheless, you can't turn your head and look through a corner, which to me is the greatest deficiency of any of these systems. Don't know what wheel they were using, but it still didnt respond like my non-power steering 911. I found that much of the driving inputs either lagged subtly or felt under or over exaggerated at times such that I never, despite wanting to, felt like I was driving. Perhaps there are setup option s to tailor this stuff more to individual taste, I know the cars can be setup.

Bottom line for me is that I really liked it and I think for a pro, its probably a fantastic improvement over existing systems when it comes to learning a new track or trying out new lines. I.e its far more involving to drive the track and feel the bumps, learn the turn-in points and markers through this system, then by simply reading track notes or watching video. For amateur guys like us, however, I'm very skeptical of such a system ever being a driver improvement tool with significant benefit. Its still, as you would expect, light years away from the sensations of being in a real car at speed. All that said, as I need a new home PC anyway, and my son is doing so well at karting these days, I could see eventually putting together a system as its certainly a lot of fun and very well done.

Stack
08-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Nevertheless, you can't turn your head and look through a corner, which to me is the greatest deficiency of any of these systems. Don't know what wheel they were using, but it still didnt respond like my non-power steering 911. I found that much of the driving inputs either lagged subtly or felt under or over exaggerated at times such that I never, despite wanting to, felt like I was driving. Perhaps there are setup option s to tailor this stuff more to individual taste, I know the cars can be setup.

All thats standing in the way of what you speak of is money. Tools are out there... either a split screen set up that you can "look into", or the TrackIR system that synchronizes movement of the screen's viewpoint with movements of your head... i.e. you move your head left, the view on screen moves left. Of course, rFactor and the GTR series have "look-to-apex" features that move your viewpoint according to steering inputs. Right now, the only tweak iRacing has is the Field of View slider, which allows for a wider peripheral, but can distort the straight-ahead view a bit.

And yes, steering feel can be adjusted, but can be frustrating to get right (or even close.)

Bottom line for me is that I really liked it and I think for a pro, its probably a fantastic improvement over existing systems when it comes to learning a new track or trying out new lines. I.e its far more involving to drive the track and feel the bumps, learn the turn-in points and markers through this system, then by simply reading track notes or watching video. For amateur guys like us, however, I'm very skeptical of such a system ever being a driver improvement tool with significant benefit. Its still, as you would expect, light years away from the sensations of being in a real car at speed. All that said, as I need a new home PC anyway, and my son is doing so well at karting these days, I could see eventually putting together a system as its certainly a lot of fun and very well done.

Yeah, until a compact and ultra maneuverable centrifuge is developed, you'll never get the g-force feel that you do from a real car.

Hanewf_83
08-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Lucky dog :D

It aint 60 hours of driving a week (although I could go for that, anybody got a spot for me?), I work 48-60 hours a week (4 or 5 days 6am-6pm) at an actual job, then spend most of my weekends at a track. Unfortunately, this forum is probably the closest thing to a social life I have.

Back on topic, after getting the opportunity to test it out a few more times (guy I work with wanted to increase his score a bit), it is growing on me, I might wait untill there are more tracks available, but I can actually see myself buying into it in the future. (Time dependant of course)

Stack
08-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Now that I've got the settings on my G25 better, I'm doing better. I had the force feedback way off (too strong) and the cars would not hold a straight line because of the G25's dual motors fighting for control. Now that thats under control, my finesse, accuracy, control, and consistency is MUCH better. :clap:

Whats tracks/cars were you running Ty?

mrepka
08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=Hanewf_83;43406]It aint 60 hours of driving a week (although I could go for that, anybody got a spot for me?), I work 48-60 hours a week (4 or 5 days 6am-6pm) at an actual job, then spend most of my weekends at a track. Unfortunately, this forum is probably the closest thing to a social life I have.[\QUOTE]

A bit tounge in cheek from me there :) I have a similar work schedule, I'm often still found in front of the laptop at 11pm or worse on most day. IT guys are like that I guess. One of the things that made participation in a Saturday morning league not work out so much.

Hanewf_83
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Whats tracks/cars were you running Ty?
Tracks:
Italy- Adria, Enna Pergussa, Imola, Missano, Monza, Vallelunga, Varano
France- Le Mans, Paul Ricard, Magny Cours
Germany- Lausitz, Hockenheim, Nurburgring, Oschersleben, Sachsenring
Spain- Jarama, Jerez, Valencia (Road course, not street circuit [yet?])
Belgium- Zolder, Spa

Cars: F3, Renault 2.0, Renault V6 (WSR), GP2 [insert crossed fingers smily], BMW M3, plus I'm the lead test driver in development of a new LMP type car with an advanced level of the "KERS" braking/hybrid drive system that doesn't fit any regulations and probably never will. but that's pretty much all I can tell you about that since it's a public forum :D

Stack
08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
LOL ... sorry Ty, I meant on iRacing :p

Hanewf_83
08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
A bit tounge in cheek from me there :) I have a similar work schedule, I'm often still found in front of the laptop at 11pm or worse on most day.
Yeah, I try to get online when I can, usually a little earlier than that though. I have to fit in 3 hours of working out usually at least 1 of that in the morning, plus 30-45 minutes of driving each way to and from work (depends on the mood I'm in)
IT guys are like that I guess. One of the things that made participation in a Saturday morning league not work out so much. "IT guys", yep, that's it exactly, plus I have to deal with the 6-9 hour time zone difference now with all you guys.

Hanewf_83
08-19-2008, 01:16 PM
LOL ... sorry Ty, I meant on iRacing :p
Damn, that woulda saved alot of thinking and typing had I known that
Just the Solstice and the Skippy car, haven't got that deep into it, VIR, Laguna, Lime... that's about it

Stack
08-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Skeen, Peter, Kyle, Andrew, Mark... up for a little Solstice Laguna practice this afternoon? Say 5:00ish?

Hanewf_83
08-27-2008, 11:22 AM
So it's officailly out, got an email today. Now the decision comes.

P.S. did anybody else who got the email notice they have "Bristol NC" but oh well, I wasn't even really reading it, it just jumped out at me.

kydiwl
08-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Skeen, Peter, Kyle, Andrew, Mark... up for a little Solstice Laguna practice this afternoon? Say 5:00ish?

Good idea Stack. I sent Ty, Peter, Mark, Skeen and you my IM address. I think IM will work better to arrange coordinated sessions. Spread the word, maybe we can get a "league" going on iRacing.

Skeen
08-29-2008, 08:18 PM
I haven't been sim racing for a while, not an iRacing member at the moment.

Stack
08-30-2008, 08:24 AM
I haven't been sim racing for a while, not an iRacing member at the moment.

Is there another Michael Skeen then? Or did you let your membership slide?

Skeen
08-30-2008, 08:43 AM
I was a member during beta testing, but dropped it (for now) when they asked for money.

Stack
08-30-2008, 08:45 AM
I was a member during beta testing, but dropped it (for now) when they asked for money.

Fair enough!

kydiwl
09-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I have removed the auto-renew function from my account. I still have 8 or 9 days until my initial month is over, but I'm not sure I want to pay for the service. I'm very impressed with the quality of the sim, but I'm getting tired of getting run off track by overly aggressive drivers. At least I know my limits and I let faster cars pass. Too many times I've been running a clean race looking at a podium finish and some idiot will run me off the track. If any of you want to get organized and have some coordinated track time, I'll renew my membership, but I'm still playing rFactor and happy doing so. Maybe I'll wait a year for the newness to wear off and jump back in.

Stack
09-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Kyle... are you still running rookie races?

I'm sure you know, there's usually a difference between overly aggressive (the ones that you'll see in the sand a turn or a lap or two later) and the ones who are really that good (the one's you never see again once you've let them by.)

I'm just now starting the advanced solstice and I'm hoping to find less of that with driver's who have shown they can race clean (in other words, with higher safety ratings.)

Of course, I can't guarantee thats what I will find, but we'll see. If you feel you've given it enough of a chance to show the system works, then I certainly won't blame you for giving it a rest. I just hope you don't have to start over with your experience if you let your membership lapse.

kydiwl
09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I've been driving the advanced Solstice for a couple of weeks and it seems worse in the advanced group, than it was in the rookie group. Maybe, we need to be at the Skippy or Formula level to be rid of the crashers.

I know what you're saying about the difference between drivers that are aggressive because they are good and drivers that are aggressive because they don't know better. The ones that are good stay in control of their car, nuff said. The others need to get a grip. One instance that comes to mind is when a driver spun about mid lap and I caught him, but not close enough to pass. Then he spun again in the last turn drag raced me down the front straight and plowed into me because he couldn't hold his line in turn one.

In another race the two cars in front of me got into each other and the drivers exchanged words and then the driver that was worse off attempted to cut the track and slam the other guy. I wasn't far behind and he came damn close to taking me out instead. I just don't think this behavior would be tolerated in a private league.

I do have to say, most of the time everyone is very well behaved and the races are pretty clean.

I really enjoy playing iRacing, but the number of d-bags is making me consider whether to continue with the service.

They say you get to keep all your stuff. The account isn't deleted, only the activation is removed. SR, cars, tracks, everything will return when you reestablish your membership.

jstecher
09-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Don't Kyle and Stack we'll be starting up the Trackpedia/Apexspeed rFactor league here in October so then you wont have to deal with the d-bag crashers anymore. :)

Keith and I have been plotting as to tracks to run this winter and think we have an excellent selection to keep the racing fun. I would really like to expand the league out this year and get 30-40 folks racing consistently so i am going to be probing other forums for participation as well.

kydiwl
09-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Great news John!!! Looking forward to it.

:clap:

Stack
09-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Since this IS an iRacing thread... check out what they just announced:

http://www.iracing.com/newsEvents/article.php?id=79

ProCoach
09-10-2008, 03:02 PM
WOW! Cool! Glad I've got it.

fire_n_ice
09-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Since this IS an iRacing thread... check out what they just announced:

http://www.iracing.com/newsEvents/article.php?id=79

That Lola F1 car should be awesome in iRacing. One of my favourite mods for rFactor is still the '79 F1 series. If the iRacing implementation feels better than that (and I fully expect it to) then bombing around in this car will be quite a treat.

I've been iRacing for several weeks and currently in the Formula Mazda series. I'm quite impressed with the whole platform. In general, I have found the Safety Rating to be a good system. I have noticed the races getting cleaner at each new level, although you still have the odd aggressive driver that wrecks you. But in general, most of the Formula Mazda drivers can complete a full race without any car-to-car contact or any wheels put off track.

As it stands, I'm waiting for more drivers to graduate to the Formula Mazda series so that the grids will be consistently full, especially for North American time zone evening races.

But when this Lola comes out, I'll be all over it :). They're working on a Riley DP car, too, I think.

For anybody looking for an overview, I wrote a blog article about iRacing.com, here: http://track-day.blogspot.com/2008/08/iracingcom-olympics-bound.html

Matt Newcombe
09-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Sooo... after a long absence from this forum and online racing, is this new fad worth the monthly fees or would I be better off to save the money for some occasional karting and stick with the tried and true rFactor?

Looking forward to racing in the fall!

ProCoach
09-15-2008, 07:56 PM
To each his own, but it's worth the full year's subscription to me, and I'm only using it to coach others on tracks that we race on and to do time trials on my own.

Stack
09-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Sooo... after a long absence from this forum and online racing, is this new fad worth the monthly fees or would I be better off to save the money for some occasional karting and stick with the tried and true rFactor?

Looking forward to racing in the fall!

Here's what iRacing DOESN'T offer that rFactor does: The ability to set up private races with your friends. This is certainly a deal-breaker for lots of people.

Otherwise, I think it does everything else better... and the accuracy in cars/tracks/physics, and the ability to race against similarly skilled/experienced drivers pretty-much any time you want more than makes up for the lack of content at the moment.

I'd love for John to take a spin in the Skippy cars around Daytona for a real-life/sim comparo.

Skeen
09-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Here's what iRacing DOESN'T offer that rFactor does: The ability to set up private races with your friends. This is certainly a deal-breaker for lots of people.

Otherwise, I think it does everything else better... and the accuracy in cars/tracks/physics, and the ability to race against similarly skilled/experienced drivers pretty-much any time you want more than makes up for the lack of content at the moment.

I'd love for John to take a spin in the Skippy cars around Daytona for a real-life/sim comparo.

John did the Skippy cars at Homestead, IIRC.

Did you post in the feedback forum about the private racing? I bet they could/would add that feature.

Stack
09-16-2008, 08:35 AM
John did the Skippy cars at Homestead, IIRC.

Ahh... thats right

Edit... just realized Homestead is one of the tracks they already have :D

Did you post in the feedback forum about the private racing? I bet they could/would add that feature.It's been posted/requested many times already... so hopefully it will be added at some point. And it's not like you can't organize a get-together, like for one of the practice sessions... but I think even if a few people register for a particular race slot, depending on how many others are signing up, people may be split into different races based on safety rating and shear numbers (I think think the races are capped at 12 cars right now... so if there are more than that registered for a time slot, the system creates separate races to keep the fields even.)

Hanewf_83
09-17-2008, 10:32 AM
The Skippy cars are decent compared to real life, I've run similar lap times to what I did years ago, it's still not the same though.
Need them to create the Indy Lights cars so I can test them around Homestead, although even if the game could simulate a drastic suspension failure going into T1, I'm pretty sure the outcome would be different, :D wouldn't hurt as much for sure :stupid: (Head (on) into wall, yeah that's about right)

kydiwl
09-23-2008, 02:55 PM
:bow::bow::bow::bow: iRacing

I renewed my membership the other day. I couldn't stand racing alone any longer. That's right, two weeks and this crack-whore was back on the pay-to-play pipe. :p

ProCoach
09-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Hahaha!

Just bought Sebring and Barber. Want to compare the Barber in rFactor to a laser scanned one.

fire_n_ice
09-26-2008, 10:51 AM
One thing I really like about it is the browser-based interface, although I'm sure some see this as limiting flexibility. I like the fact that I can download updates, tracks, cars with one click and off I go. Wrestling with directories in GTR2 and rFactor, skinpacks, track version mismatches, etc. drives me nuts. Although I willfully subject myself to it when a cool mod is released.

Stack
09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
One thing I really like about it is the browser-based interface, although I'm sure some see this as limiting flexibility. I like the fact that I can download updates, tracks, cars with one click and off I go. Wrestling with directories in GTR2 and rFactor, skinpacks, track version mismatches, etc. drives me nuts. Although I willfully subject myself to it when a cool mod is released.

Yeah, this is one of the best things about iRacing in my opinion. You know everyone has the same version of everything. No sitting on pins and needles hoping the mod you just downloaded won't crash the game.

I'm growing to like having a set schedule for the official sessions, especially the races. It all but guarantees there will be full, or mostly full grids at any time... and usually the people you're racing against will be classed close to yourself (although, the skippy race I did Wednesday night I was one of two rookies in a field of C and D license drivers.) But hey, you only get better competing against better competition right!?

fire_n_ice
09-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah, this is one of the best things about iRacing in my opinion. You know everyone has the same version of everything. No sitting on pins and needles hoping the mod you just downloaded won't crash the game.

Not to mention practicing for a whole 1 or 2 weeks for a scheduled league race that nobody can connect to b/c of a file mismatch the night of. :grumble:

gantmaniac
09-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Here are some great side by side comparison videos of iRacing to real life:

Road America: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiI2IaK23JM
VIR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn96JwbB1Ag
Sebring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLHM-n6md4w
Summit Point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wouzmFz_hkQ

fire_n_ice
09-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Here are some great side by side comparison videos of iRacing to real life:

Road America: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiI2IaK23JM
VIR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn96JwbB1Ag
Sebring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLHM-n6md4w
Summit Point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wouzmFz_hkQ

Yep, the track scanning technology seems pretty awesome. The only iRacing track I'd driven in real life before I signed up was Laguna. But when I saw how accurate it was, it was a done deal.

kishg
10-16-2008, 11:28 AM
wow.. the realism looks amazing.. i'm off to shop for a new pc so i can get into this.. pity it doesn't run on mac :) anybody got any suggestions on a suitable spec? I'm thinking Intel dual core with 2GB with 512MB video card ought to do it?

Stack
10-16-2008, 12:20 PM
wow.. the realism looks amazing.. i'm off to shop for a new pc so i can get into this.. pity it doesn't run on mac :) anybody got any suggestions on a suitable spec? I'm thinking Intel dual core with 2GB with 512MB video card ought to do it?

These are the recommended requirements:

System Requirements
Windows XP or Windows Vista
Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, or any dual-core CPU
128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6600 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better recommended) graphics adapter
1 GB system RAM
3Gb free hard disk space
Steering wheel and pedals required
Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Internet Browser Requirements
Firefox 1.5, Internet Explorer 6, or newer
Javascript enabled
Cookies enabled
Flash Player

kishg
10-16-2008, 04:10 PM
These are the recommended requirements:

System Requirements
Windows XP or Windows Vista
Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, or any dual-core CPU
128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6600 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better recommended) graphics adapter
1 GB system RAM
3Gb free hard disk space
Steering wheel and pedals required
Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Internet Browser Requirements
Firefox 1.5, Internet Explorer 6, or newer
Javascript enabled
Cookies enabled
Flash Player

yes, i've seen the min requirements on the website. i'm asking more about what different people are actually running.

Doug Carter
10-16-2008, 04:57 PM
wow.. the realism looks amazing.. i'm off to shop for a new pc so i can get into this.. pity it doesn't run on mac :)

It will.

I'm running iFactor on Windows XP through BootCamp on a new MacBook Pro. Actually runs cleaner on a Mac than a Pee Cee.

kishg
10-17-2008, 09:15 AM
It will.

I'm running iFactor on Windows XP through BootCamp on a new MacBook Pro. Actually runs cleaner on a Mac than a Pee Cee.

that's useful to know. i haven't bothered with bootcamp yet (no need so far). do you view on the screen or tv? I'm planning to hook up to my 1080p LCD via HDMI. My MacBook Pro (first gen), doesn't have HDMI out but has DVI out. I can look into an adaptor?

Doug Carter
10-17-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm running the last edition of the MacBook Pro before this new release this past week (2.5Ghz, 2GB, 250GB, 6 MB L2 cache, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT video card). It has a DVI-out and came with an adapter to plug into a TV/monitor. I haven't done this yet, as I have been racing pretty comfortably using the laptop (15") as a monitor. The only thing I added to the MacBook Pro/Logitech G25 setup was an aluminum notebook cooling tray with fans. It's USB powered, but a necessity because the MacBook runs REALLY hot during gameplay. It runs very hot during Windows XP anyway (nice OS :rolleyes:), but in rFactor, I'm running the fans in the heatsink on always.

Outside of having to purchase a full version of Windows XP (painful), BootCamp macs a newer Mac a do-all computer, able to run all of your existing Mac applications, and every Windows app in a native, non-emulated environment.

I highly recommend it for all Mac users who are contemplating switching out of necessity and not want.

Stack
10-17-2008, 10:32 AM
I've got an unopened, licensed copy of XP that I've been holding on to in case Vista lived up to the negative hype (which it hasn't for me). I'll let it go for $100 to the 1st taker.

-Stacy

sbranda
10-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Doug,

I have Windows XP on my laptop and it runs fine in low power mode. You just need to make sure the power consumption driver for the processor is installed and you have a good power management program like speedswitch XP (http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/)

Doug Carter
10-17-2008, 12:52 PM
I have Windows XP on my laptop and it runs fine in low power mode. You just need to make sure the power consumption driver for the processor is installed and you have a good power management program like speedswitch XP (http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/)

You're speaking a foreign language to a Mac user. We don't have power consumption/processor issues on the OSX side, so this isn't something I'm familiar with.

http://www.council-of-elrond.com/forums/images/smilies/shrug.gif

gantmaniac
10-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Enough said

http://www.andrewgantman.com/images/rileyDP.jpg

Stack
10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Enough said

http://www.andrewgantman.com/images/rileyDP.jpg

OH ... MAN. I haven't seen this yet... :bow::bow::bow: :rockon::rockon:

gantmaniac
10-28-2008, 04:35 PM
OH ... MAN. I haven't seen this yet... :bow::bow::bow: :rockon::rockon:
I hope you checked out the full size, it is unreal!

gantmaniac
10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Stack, I added you to my friend list in iRacing.

Stack
10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Stack, I added you to my friend list in iRacing.

Cool man!... I did one of the week 13 Radical races earlier today... man that was intense!

Stack
11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
WOOHOO! :clap:

Got my Class D license ... now I can race the Skippies AND the Formula Mazdas :D

That is IF I can keep my safety rating above a 4.0

gantmaniac
11-03-2008, 10:24 AM
WOOHOO! :clap:

Got my Class D license ... now I can race the Skippies AND the Formula Mazdas :D

That is IF I can keep my safety rating above a 4.0
I moved up to Class B for the road and had my first Radical race at Sebring during week 13. This is going to be a LONG season trying to get the most out of that car with the least amount of incidents! I ended up finishing 3rd just by focusing on trying to keep the car under me through all of the BUMPY corners.

Stack, you should try running some oval races too if you haven't. I ran a Late Model race last night and it was a blast. The developers made HUGE changes to the way the car handles and it now feels as it should.

Stack
11-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I moved up to Class B for the road and had my first Radical race at Sebring during week 13. This is going to be a LONG season trying to get the most out of that car with the least amount of incidents! I ended up finishing 3rd just by focusing on trying to keep the car under me through all of the BUMPY corners.

LOL ... yeah, I ran a few of the Radical races... actually won one Friday afternoon... of course, I was the only car running! :miffed:

Stack, you should try running some oval races too if you haven't. I ran a Late Model race last night and it was a blast. The developers made HUGE changes to the way the car handles and it now feels as it should.

Right now, it's a matter of time ... I don't have the time to run the road course stuff I want, so I'm kinda concentrating on that. I did run a handful of Legends ovals early on, but thats about it.

Skeen
11-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm thinking about getting back on this. Anyone know if renewing a lapsed membership gives you the tracks/cars you had previously? I e-mailed them last week and haven't gotten a response yet. Could be a deal breaker.

Stack
11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm thinking about getting back on this. Anyone know if renewing a lapsed membership gives you the tracks/cars you had previously? I e-mailed them last week and haven't gotten a response yet. Could be a deal breaker.

Yes, you pick up where you left off

Mike_B
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I will continue to withhold my subscription until they have a full sports car only progression.

Stack
11-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I will continue to withhold my subscription until they have a full sports car only progression.

By sports car, do you mean non open wheel?

Mike_B
11-03-2008, 06:38 PM
By sports car, do you mean non open wheel?

Yeah. Touring cars, prototypes, GTs, etc. Fenders.

Stack
11-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah. Touring cars, prototypes, GTs, etc. Fenders.

Well... the trend is that you'll need to work your way up through some of the open wheelers to get to the sports cars when they get them (and they will get them.)

So why not run it now? Get the growing pains out of the way, get your licenses secure, then you'll be ready to go when the stuff you want comes online.

Mike_B
11-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Well... the trend is that you'll need to work your way up through some of the open wheelers to get to the sports cars when they get them (and they will get them.)

So why not run it now? Get the growing pains out of the way, get your licenses secure, then you'll be ready to go when the stuff you want comes online.

Cost.

I don't want to pay to drive cars I really don't care about driving. I'd rather spend that money on track days.

Stack
11-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Cost.

I don't want to pay to drive cars I really don't care about driving. I'd rather spend that money on track days.

Fair enough, I won't argue with you on the cost thing.

All I'm saying really, is I get the feeling from you (and a lot of other people) that the sim isn't getting a fair chance because you're "forced" to drive the Solstice or the Skippies.

Once people start driving these cars, I would think the accuracy in physics and vehicle/track details would win them over. It's like in real life... I'll drive anything I'm given, and I'll find something to like about it, and I'll learn something from it that I'll be able to use when I DO get to drive something more capable.

So sure, if it's the money thing, no one can blame you for that. But if you somehow feel you're "better" than the Rookie cars, or the open wheelers... I just think you're missing out, that's all.

Mike_B
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
All I'm saying really, is I get the feeling from you (and a lot of other people) that the sim isn't getting a fair chance because you're "forced" to drive the Solstice or the Skippies.

Once people start driving these cars, I would think the accuracy in physics and vehicle/track details would win them over. It's like in real life... I'll drive anything I'm given, and I'll find something to like about it, and I'll learn something from it that I'll be able to use when I DO get to drive something more capable.

So sure, if it's the money thing, no one can blame you for that. But if you somehow feel you're "better" than the Rookie cars, or the open wheelers... I just think you're missing out, that's all.

For me, that's not it at all. I love the Solstice. It's really fun to drive. However, once I got my D license, my options became:

Keep driving the Solstice and advance no further (license wise)
Buy and open wheel car (which I don't really care to do) and all the track necessary for that race series ($$$)
Drive oval (NEVER!)

iRacing keeps saying that they intend to have separate open-wheel and sports car series, but they can't do it until they have the numbers needed to keep the races full. My feeling is that they're not going to be in any rush to do it if people like me pay for existing content (even if we don't really want it). I'd love to see them have the numbers to do it, but I don't see them doing much to bring in the new subscribers. They've supposedly got a spec race ford. They were working on the V8 GT car 2 years ago. When will we see those cars? Once they have a full sports-car series, I'll resub. Until then, I can be satisfied running rfactor and GPL. (I know I said I don't like open wheel cars, but I have a soft spot for the '67 formula one cars. I've always thought they were the coolest race cars ever.)

fire_n_ice
11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
(I know I said I don't like open wheel cars, but I have a soft spot for the '67 formula one cars. I've always thought they were the coolest race cars ever.)

What about the Lotus 79 F1 car? They are modeling that, apparently. Can't wait to drive it.

I'm still very much enjoying iRacing. Even started on the ovals, now, too. I use it for entertainment, but also just as much for driver training. So my philosophy is, why not drive everything I can get my hands on? My favourite pros are the guys that can drive anything, anyway, like Andretti, Tony Stewart, etc.

Plus, all the licensing costs added up doesn't even total the cost of gas and other consumables I go through in a single track day!

Mike_B
11-10-2008, 01:17 PM
What about the Lotus 79 F1 car? They are modeling that, apparently. Can't wait to drive it.

Plus, all the licensing costs added up doesn't even total the cost of gas and other consumables I go through in a single track day!

I'm pretty happy that they're adding the Lotus 79 F1 car. I personally don't care about it. I only like the F1 cars from the '60s. However, it shows that there will be vintage cars in there, and that is cool.

I figured the cost to get to a B license would end up around $300-400. I don't spend much more than that on a single track day. Given the choice (and because I have to make the choice right now)....I'll choose the real thing.

Stack
11-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I figured the cost to get to a B license would end up around $300-400. I don't spend much more than that on a single track day. Given the choice (and because I have to make the choice right now)....I'll choose the real thing.

To date, I've spent $258.00.

$20 for my initial subscription
$156 for a year pre-paid.
$32.50 for VIR and the Formula Mazda
$49.50 for Skip Barber F2000, Silverstone, and the Radical SR8

In addition to those, with the yearly subscription, I got $60 in iRacing credits, with which I've purchased Infineon Raceway and Sebring.

So I'm set completely through a C license. You could easily move up to a B license within your first year of subscription.

But don't get me wrong, by all means, spend money on the real thing if you have to choose.