PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 rFactor Challenge - "The get your butts out and race spectacular" at Blackhawk

jstecher
04-17-2008, 06:53 PM
After a great race in Sunny Florida we turn to the toxic industrial dump of Belo...I mean the rolling hills of Beloit Wisconsin and the 1.95 miles of chaos known as Blackhawk Farms. With a tight track and competition across the field being close look for some exciting racing this weekend. Come out and test your mettle against the best in the world. :)

Download the track here: http://www.trackpedia.com/rfactor/BlackHawk.zip

and check out the latest series information here: http://trackpedia.com/wiki/Trackpedia_rFactor_Challenge

If you have a custom skin for the race series you want to use upload them via ftp to www.trackpedia.com user/pass rfactor/rfact0r where 0 is a zero. We will start using them coming up the first race in May.

We'll see you at 10PM EST/9PM CST/8PM MST/7PM PST Wednesday night!!

Hanewf_83
04-18-2008, 01:58 AM
Unfortunately, it now appears that I will be unable to make next weeks event, and even if I do make it, I will barely have any development time on the car so I probably won't be that fast.
Hopefully someone else will be able to take the fight to Skeen in my place.

P.S. I always thought Blackhawk was in Illinois.

jstecher
04-18-2008, 03:20 PM
P.S. I always thought Blackhawk was in Illinois.

Its the border of Illinois and Wisconsin. Beloit is split between both states actually. I have no real clue which one the real track lies in, I just know if you go to far there is a damn toll both that requires your first born child to pay for.

jstecher
04-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Jesus I see Mossie throwing down the gauntlet as far as times go on the hotlap tracker!! 1.02:3 is hauling the mail.

Hanewf_83
04-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Jesus I see Mossie throwing down the gauntlet as far as times go on the hotlap tracker!! 1.02:3 is hauling the mail.

Not really, I believe the FA record there is a 60. something. So if the track was right (which it's not) a 58 or 59 should be reachable. When I get finished packing today, I'll probably spend most of the night flogging around the track trying to get better. This will be my last chance to improve before race day, if I even make that. We'll see.

And if I can't, as I said above, I hope Mossie, or anybody else (except you John, no hope there :D), can continue with that pace and make Skeen work again.

f2000keith
04-18-2008, 04:19 PM
I think the address for the track is Rockton, IL. ..it doesn't matter anyway cause when I order a pizza to the track on race weekends, Papa Johns still don't have a freaking clue where it's at. :stupid:

Mossie
04-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Thanks John, I tend to agree with Ty, theres more time to be had. Although, I think I learned something at Daytona, I think I was trail braking way to deep, I was trail braking almost to the apex, when I started taking my dumb foot off the pedal, much earlier my apex speed increased. (remember what J.Stuart said?). So now I brake earlier, but take my foot completely off the pedal, well before the apex (neutral throddle), it seems to help at Blackhawk.

P.S.- off subject, but any of you guys ever drive a FST (formula first) FF is a little out of my price range and FST looks like it might be a good way to go for me. I'm going to phoenix tomorrow to see some run.

Hanewf_83
04-18-2008, 08:54 PM
P.S.- off subject, but any of you guys ever drive a FST (formula first) FF is a little out of my price range and FST looks like it might be a good way to go for me. I'm going to phoenix tomorrow to see some run.

I tried one when I was younger (12 or 13), got tired of it after 10 minutes. It's a good easy car to drive. Nowadays the only experience I have with them is flying by about 50mph faster. I'd personally recommend FV or FF, but if there's enough cars in the area for good competition, it's a good start.

don fleming
04-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Hoping to make the Blackhawk round, looks good for being available that nt (not always the case).

The F-Atl. cars are great there, what a great mod you chose (am new to the mod, including tweaking setups, man where to start...).

Do notice qwirks with the track: The sky is white and blue bands, suspect the cloud graphics are not right perhaps (I have graphics set medium to free cpu). Also, when exiting the pits close to the right side armco, an invisable wall exists, I hit it a few times before I realized what it was, or a what happened, its just invisible!

Cheers frm Wa state
- Its snowing tonite (dismal like in Motegi Japan as IRL faces weather delays)

Don F

f2000keith
04-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Hoping to make the Blackhawk round, looks good for being available that nt (not always the case).

The F-Atl. cars are great there, what a great mod you chose (am new to the mod, including tweaking setups, man where to start...).

Do notice qwirks with the track: The sky is white and blue bands, suspect the cloud graphics are not right perhaps (I have graphics set medium to free cpu). Also, when exiting the pits close to the right side armco, an invisable wall exists, I hit it a few times before I realized what it was, or a what happened, its just invisible!

Cheers frm Wa state
- Its snowing tonite (dismal like in Motegi Japan as IRL faces weather delays)

Don F

Hi Don! Hope you can make it.

This track is less than optimal as it's a pretty crude conversion from the SCGT version so there are going to be quite a few things going on with it. In testing tonight I was stuck behind a wall of trees that were invisible and it took me a while to find my way out. IF you stay on the track though and avoid the invisible wall on pit out, then you should have a decent race.

Hanewf_83
04-19-2008, 01:51 AM
...there are going to be quite a few things going on with it. In testing tonight I was stuck behind a wall of trees that were invisible and it took me a while to find my way out. IF you stay on the track though and avoid the invisible wall on pit out, then you should have a decent race.
Another thing to look out for is the drop off the face of the earth (figuratively) I spun through turn 3 one lap, locked it down, but the car ended up spinning off the track surface onto the proper grass layer about 10 feet below. The only problem was, that it was then impossible to get back up to the main track. I can see this being a problem during the race. If I can find my 3DS CD in the mess of boxes when I get home, I hope to try and play with the track a bit to prevent this, and also hopefully give the off track excursions a more realistic feel.

Matt Newcombe
04-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Whoa these things are fun :) It's been a while lol

jstecher
04-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Whoa these things are fun :) It's been a while lol

Damn right they are I love driving them. Mossie had a very good point on the getting braking done in a straight line and using the throttle through the turns. Seems to work a lot better.

don fleming
04-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Yup, these are a blast. The track flaws not a biggie, is still a good drive.. -
- BTW, If its frm SCGT, I was big with that game thru 2004, have about 2 gigs of it saved off, it was sure a goody back then.

Anyone else getting overheating messages frm spotter? I do after a few hard laps, sure don't wanna grenade it. Am redlining it in each gear, great engine note up there, keeps the adrenaline going :) Next will take note on water temp showing on LCD, not sure the acceptable range (recall seeing 230 or so when running hard).

-Don

Mossie
04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Anyone else getting overheating messages frm spotter?
-Don

Hey Don, it must be your radiator size setting, I have mine set to 4. I like the track too, some minor tech glitches, but fun to drive.

jstecher
04-22-2008, 02:43 AM
I have my radiator opening set to 4 as well otherwise I overheat. I didn't realize it was a problem until I got 6-7 laps into the race at Daytona then had the dude screaming in my ear every 30 seconds.

Hanewf_83
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Damn right they are I love driving them. Mossie had a very good point on the getting braking done in a straight line and using the throttle through the turns. Seems to work a lot better.

I tried to tell people that at Daytona, it's the only reason I was able to stay ahead of Mike in the race, I went in easy and got off the slower corners way better which was the only way I could stay ahead, untill he screwed up forcing the pass.

- BTW, If its from SCGT, I was big with that game thru 2004, have about 2 gigs of it saved off, it was sure a goody back then.
ISI's first great racing sim.
It was the first racing game I ever played, when I was packing the other day, I found it in a box and decided to load it on my laptop for a quick spin. Considering it's 10 years old now, still a blast to play (it actaully took out of my limited testing time at Blackhawk because I got so caught up in it again.)

See ya's tomorrow night.

Hanewf_83
04-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Uhh, Mike, care to either explain your lap, or even better, share that setup?

56.2... I guess I shouldn't have beaten ya last week, woke up the monster from last season.

Skeen
04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
heh. This is an easy-cheat track. I kept surprising myself by taking more and more generous "two offs" until I realized the grass is grippy just about everywhere. When things count, I won't use any more than a normal two-off, I was just curious where the limits were.

kbrew8991
04-23-2008, 03:20 PM
3 off isn't 4 off ;)

Hanewf_83
04-23-2008, 03:25 PM
heh. This is an easy-cheat track. I kept surprising myself by taking more and more generous "two offs" until I realized the grass is grippy just about everywhere. When things count, I won't use any more than a normal two-off, I was just curious where the limits were.

I kind of figured that, I've run a 54 offline, I think I'm only on the "track surface" maybe 15-20% of the lap. So you just did that to hide your actual pace (or lack there of):)

Hiding actual pace, you're never slow.

don fleming
04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Geeze, mid 50's lap times?
- If anyone's thinking they'll be lonely in back, they'll race with me maybe, I've yet to break a 1:04. :stupid:

CYA tonite, maybe I'll learn more abot the F/Atl's.

Don F

Hanewf_83
04-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Geeze, mid 50's lap times?
- If anyone's thinking they'll be lonely in back, they'll race with me maybe, I've yet to break a 1:04. :stupid:

CYA tonite, maybe I'll learn more abot the F/Atl's.

Don F

You have to cheat and drive way off track to accomplish those

Race laps will probably be in the 61-62 range, I'll probably be at the back with ya, don't have my regular chair/screen, can't get the feel right, plus I've had a beer for each box of crap I've taken out to the car, hopefully it will wear off before the race.

jstecher
04-23-2008, 08:44 PM
OK guys cant see the server in match maker...any help?

jstecher
04-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Had to do this

When looking for an Internet server, click on the blue plus sign button and put in:

keithcarter.homeip.net

Mossie
04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
I just looked at the replay, remember the invisible wall at the pit exit, I hit it on the start, apparently it sticks out into the track a little (doh!!!). :stupid: Kyle was no where near me at the time.

jstecher
04-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Damn Mossie sorry to hear you clip that damn wall. Great racing overall. Had a blast with Keith and Dom dicing back and forth but I just had to much wing on to pull on him on any of the straight aways and couldn't do crap in the turns.

Hope this helps me if I get the car to the track this weekend!

BTW Thanks guys for making me take a great break from working on the car...7-2am each night was killing me. :)

kydiwl
04-24-2008, 07:11 AM
I just looked at the replay, remember the invisible wall at the pit exit, I hit it on the start, apparently it sticks out into the track a little (doh!!!). :stupid: Kyle was no where near me at the time.

Thanks for verifiying that, Mossie, and clearing my name. I didn't think I was close on you at the start. I haven't watched the replay, yet, but I think I misshifted(?) at the start and went straight to second gear.

Blackhawk is a fun track, but someone with mad track-building skillz needs to look at it and fix the barrier issues and the runoff areas.

f2000keith
04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Blackhawk is a fun track, but someone with mad track-building skillz needs to look at it and fix the barrier issues and the runoff areas.

I'd really like to see the track redone/converted with the other version of Blackhawk from Nascar HEAT. It's much closer to the real thing.

Mossie
04-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong, I still had fun, still enjoyed driving the track, much thanks to the track constructor. The only reason I found that wall, is I moved far right on the start. These online races have a way of finding the smallest flaws, the track has to be just about perfect technically for no issues to come up. at least no one spun off and got trapped in the underworld.:cheers:

Hanewf_83
04-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Hope this helps me if I get the car to the track this weekend!

BTW Thanks guys for making me take a great break from working on the car...7-2am each night was killing me. :)

See John, u ended up finishing 4th, posting the 4th best time, and was able to be kept on the lead lap (was fast enough that I didn't have to lap you). Would you have done that without me bugging you all the time, possibly, but probably not. There is a method to my madness on rare occasions.

Hope you get the car together and get out there this weekend. You should be on pace, just remember, the real grass isn't close to as grip friendly at it was last night.

jstecher
04-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks Ty. After another long night I am inches closer to actually being able to run this weekend. Would still love to give the car a much more through systems check before heading out but I resolved a lot of issues last night with the help of Skeen and Keith and executed on fixing them tonight with the help of Eric and Steve and a 102 inch level. :)

New track posted for next week in a second here. :P

Matt Newcombe
04-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Skeen man, I'm really sorry about that stupid spinout that caused me to get right into your path :(. I felt pretty bad after that.

Skeen
04-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Skeen man, I'm really sorry about that stupid spinout that caused me to get right into your path :(. I felt pretty bad after that.

Meh, stuff happens. At least there wasn't $100k on the line or anything. :p

jstecher
04-25-2008, 03:13 PM

:lol: Why has this happened to you in the past Skeen? :P

Hanewf_83
04-25-2008, 09:33 PM

After watching the replay this afternoon, I would like to assume that you wouldn't drive like that in real life, considering you had over a 16 second lead at the time, you still kept your foot in it right through the impact. I don't even think my brain would have let me do that in a game, let alone real life (Hit enough walls as it is already) :)