PDA

View Full Version : windows xp tweaks for rfactor

Mossie
12-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Here is a link for a thread about shutting down windows XP, background processes, it seemed to help me, but be careful !!!. sorry I did'nt find anything for Vista users, don't really know if any of this would apply to vista.

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=268628

jstecher
12-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks Mossie! I'll take a loosie at then when I get a shot.

gunny
12-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Great little windows tweaks there. One thing I have see for alot of users (I've built a few machines for some of my online racing buddies) is automatic updates! As been said before check your antivirus settings. I turn my antivirus off while racing. There is a cool little program out there called Enditall2 and it can be setup to shut down all unessary services your computer runs while racing. You can turn these back on after your race. Ok so enough with the windows tweaks.

One thing rFactor seems to do is to use alot of memory. If you have less than a gig of memory it's suggested to get more.

So for rFactor there are a few things you can do to help your frame rate while in game.
1. in the root directory of rFactor there is rF Config.exe double click on this to adjust your video card properties
Try different shader levels. Resolution: turn it down to say 1024x768 16 bit or even less than that if nessassary. No anti aliasing.

2. While in game
try turning the details down.
Shadows is a big frame rate eater. Turn shadows off.
turn visible Vehicles down. maybe try 8 or 10 but becarful here at the start of a race because I think with 10 it show 6 in front and 4 in back so sometimes cars may blip in and out.

3. Connection settings
I have my setting set on ISDN 64k upload and 64k download. This has been set this way for a long while. Reason to turn down. So if you think your having network issue try it. If you not having any problems don't change anything!
Dedicated servers have setting to allow only so much bandwidth per racer. Admins can adjust this setting. For example Grand Prix Legends needed about 16kb of upload per user. Testing show that rFactor is stable between 16kb and 24kb per user. I have my server set for 24kb. Where this really comes into effect is for large fields. My server has hosted some pretty big races with no issues as it is set today.

So try some of those settings.

Here are some notes I have taken while trying to figure out rFactor.

lotS of money and be able to drive anything (type in the following in your chat window): ISI_BABYFACTORY
See frame rates: CTrl F
Motec on/off: CTrl M
Driver name tabs above car on/off: tab

The below info is found on rfactors site and in the readme.chm file in the root directory of your rfactor installation
Insert - Switches between cockpit, roof, and nose cameras on the vehicle
Home - Switches between other onboard cameras
Page Up - Switches to swingman camera
Page Down - Switches to trackside cameras so you can view the race from a spectator's point of view
Number Pad 2 - Moves swingman camera closer to ground
Number Pad 4 - Swings the swingman camera around the car to the left
Number Pad 5 - Resets swingman camera
Number Pad 6 - Swings the swingman camera around the car to the right
Number Pad 7 - Moves swingman camera further from vehicle
Number Pad 8 - Moves swingman camera higher in air
Number Pad 9 - Moves swingman camera closer to vehicle
Number Pad Minus (-) - Changes camera to the vehicle in the next lower place
Number Pad Plus (+) - Changes camera to the vehicle in the next higher place
Number Pad Enter - Returns to your vehicle
F12 - Takes a screenshot and stores it by default off the base rFactor directory as "UserData\ScreenShots\GRABxxx.JPG".
1 - Vote Yes on a proposal in multiplayer (running on a dedicated server only)
2 - Get ping value to server
3 - Toggle your mirrors on and off (may help framerate)
4 - Toggle the HUD (Heads Up Display) statistics display
5 - Toggle the HUD tachometer display
6 - Toggle the HUD multi-purpose display
7 - Toggle TV overlays
0 - Vote No on a proposal in multiplayer (running on a dedicated server only)
Enter - Cycles through the information displayed on your dash or HUD
Tab - Toggles the driver names above the cars
T - In car chat
B - Look behind you (does not work on all cameras)
V - Look left (does not work on all cameras)
N - Look right (does not work on all cameras)
R - Instant replay. Note that you can use instant replay any time in single-player, but you can only use it at the monitor in multiplayer. Just above the monitor it will say "LIVE" or "Tape Delay" to show you whether you are watching live action or a replay.

When you are in instant replay mode, the following keys can be used to navigate forward or backward:

Left Arrow - Replay rewind
Control + Left Arrow - Replay rewind fast
Down Arrow + Left Arrow - Replay rewind slow
Up Arrow - Replay stop
Right Arrow - Replay fast forward
Down Arrow - Replay slow motion

There are many other controls and controller options not listed here that you might find useful. Please check the Controller Assignments page (Customize->Settings->Controls) in the options for a full list of available controls.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frame rate issue: (just some tips)
double click on rfconfig.exe
Shader: dx7 or dx 8
resolution: experiment!!!! 1024x768 is a good start
Anti Aliasing: not really needed for most
all the other little boxes: unchecked

In game: Turn shadows off, lower visable vehicles, turn details down

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.PLR file settings (just some suggestions you may want to try)
[ DRIVER AIDS ]
Auto Lift="0" // Whether to automatically lift with manual shifting but auto-clutch (non-semiautomatic trans only)
Auto Blip="0" // Whether to automatically blip with manual shifting but auto-clutch (non-semiautomatic trans only)

[ GRAPHICS OPTIONS ]
Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.50000" // Primary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
Cockpit Vibration Freq1="0.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)
Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
Cockpit Vibration Freq2="0.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation
Steering Wheel="2" // 0=moving steering wheel, 1=non-moving steering wheel, 2=no steering wheel (in cockpit only while player-controlled)

[ GAME OPTIONS ]
Relative Fuel Strategy="1" // Show how much fuel to ADD, rather than how much TOTAL fuel to fill the tank up to
Exit Confirmation="1" // 0=none, 1=race only, 2=always, If you select 0=none hitting the Esc key will remove you from the race immediatly
Measurement Units="1" // Units for everything EXCEPT speed (0 = metric, 1 = english/imperial)
Speed Units="0" // 0 = MPH, 1 = KPH
Keep Received Setups="1" // 0=do not accept, 1=keep until next track, 2=keep until exit, 3=keep forever

multiplayer.ini file
[ Multiplayer General Options ]
Allow Chat In Car="0" // 0=Off 1= On Whether to allow incoming chats to appear while in car
Leave/Join Messages="2" // 0=none 1=in-car 2=monitor 3=both

Misc:
Flashing track object fix:
LocalCam=COCKPIT
{
ClipPlanes=(0.0225000, 500.000000)
}

to

LocalCam=COCKPIT
{
ClipPlanes=(0.2000000, 500.000000)
}

works with every mod, reduces flickering by 90%

Dale B
12-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Good post Gunny,

1 thing, if you're getting a lot of stuttering or FPS are still not great you can turn off your replay too.

Mossie
12-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the excellent info Gunny !!! Just wanted to add that if anyone is having lock up issues, it may well be over heating, rfactor will do that. Pull the cover and aim a house fan at it, see if the problem goes away, I have had that problem on two different cpu's.

gunny
12-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for all the excellent info Gunny !!! Just wanted to add that if anyone is having lock up issues, it may well be over heating, rfactor will do that. Pull the cover and aim a house fan at it, see if the problem goes away, I have had that problem on two different cpu's.

Yea get some canned air, take the computer outside and dust it out! This can make a huge difference in some systems!

Warpedcow
12-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Yea get some canned air, take the computer outside and dust it out! This can make a huge difference in some systems!

A can of air just moves the dust around, you need to actually VACUUM that sucker out. Make sure to wipe dust off the heatsinks too, it tends to stick there. My Athon 64 went from running at 160F under load to 130F after just cleaning the CPU heatsink.

gunny
12-09-2007, 12:48 PM
A can of air just moves the dust around, you need to actually VACUUM that sucker out. Make sure to wipe dust off the heatsinks too, it tends to stick there. My Athon 64 went from running at 160F under load to 130F after just cleaning the CPU heatsink.

Dont have a Vacuum that tiny so I opted for moving the dust outside way with a cheap can of air! Has worked for me for years. Anyhow I think the point has been made. Clean out your computer. Kinda like changing your oil in your car.