PDA

View Full Version : Trackpedia rFactor Racing League Track Selection Poll

jstecher
11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I have listed 20 tracks on here which I want folks to vote on to see what tracks we want to run in the Trackpedia series. I think it would be optimal to schedule a 12 weekend racing series and thus allow most of us in the winter stricken area to get past the pain. I have selected tracks based on them being visually excellent as well as good physical models and of course how cool I think the tracks around here are.

We will run the top 12 tracks out of the 20 in the poll.

jstecher
11-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Come on folks get your votes in!

jstecher
11-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Come on folks voting closes in two days. Even if your not going to race get your votes in to help us pick the track we run.

sbarton
11-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Can you add VIR.
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Virginia%20Raceway

That should definately be on there since a lot of us east coaster drive there.

-Scott

Stack
11-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Can you add VIR.
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Virginia%20Raceway

That should definately be on there since a lot of us east coaster drive there.

-Scott

I'll second that, providing it's a decent one. The one for GTR2 leaves a lot to be desired, but its livable. I've seen/driven some pretty bad ones LOL.

Stack
11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Looks like the top tracks are mostly set:

Road America
Mid Ohio
Road Atlanta
Barber
Watkins Glen
Laguna Seca
Spa-Franchorchamps
Mosport
Brands Hatch
Lime Rock Park
Indy (USGP)The last slot looks to be a choice between some surprising tracks:

Zandovordt
Summit Point
Suzuka
Mid-America
Monaco
EstorilTough decisions! Would the inclusion of VIR effect these any? I think maybe! :D

f1rocks
11-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Crystal Palace would be a fun one also.

Crystal Palace is a small track which makes for some fun racing because you don't get nearly as spread out. Ran it last night in the 79 mod.

It's a GPLEA modified track so I know it runs well.

Stack
11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Crystal Palace would be a fun one also.

Crystal Palace is a small track which makes for some fun racing because you don't get nearly as spread out. Ran it last night in the 79 mod.

It's a GPLEA modified track so I know it runs well.

Brent... I was reading some of the details on the '79 mod last week, and it indicated there would be version conflicts with that one vs other versions of rFactor trying to play online. Do you have a way around that?

jstecher
11-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Just for you characters we will run VIR no matter what. I aim to please. :) Since I am judge and jury around here that is the only track I will grandfather in don't anyone else ask. :cheers:

The tracks looks to be a good selection overall in voting. I am pretty happy with them as its a lot of the US ones that are dream tracks for most of us to travel to along with backyard ones.

f1rocks
11-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Brent... I was reading some of the details on the '79 mod last week, and it indicated there would be version conflicts with that one vs other versions of rFactor trying to play online. Do you have a way around that?

I hadn't run rFactor in almost a year online. My current league Slip Stream Racing is using the latest 79 version 2.0

I loaded the latest update to rFactor and the latest 79 mod and it ran great right out of the box. I'm not sure what the issue is, just put the latest and greatest and it rocks. The latest 79 is the best. It feels a lot better than the earlier versions and the cars are top notch. There is definately a speed differential between the cars though.

I'm not advocating running the 79's though. For newbies the frustration level would be off the chart. I'd rather run a slow tin top or the PCCA Carrera cup mod (in honor of Lobo).....:D

jstecher
11-19-2007, 06:02 PM
79 F1 cars suck...we would have to give extra points to the person who spins the most each race.

Stack
11-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't have all these tracks downloaded yet? If not, better get goin. Both Rfactor Central and No grip (and I'm sure others) have 24-hour download limits... anyway...

Drove VIR last night a little... I think the track layout isn't TOO bad. It's always tough to recreate elevation on sims, but this one does it better than some.

Some of the turns aren't tight or slow enough. A couple are too tight, or too pronounced. I haven't seen a sim version of VIR yet that gets T15-T17 (Hogpen complex) right.

There's also a lot of extraneous stuff... grandstands, walls, apex tires (what is it with rFactor and these things?) that can be quite distracting.

I also ran Barber and Road America, both are done much better, but having never driven either of them, I can't speak to their accuracy. But visually, there's a much better sense of immersion. Only glitch I had with Barber... you have to gun the formula BMW car out of the garage or else it will bottom out and get caught LOL.

Hope to get some time on The Glen tonight, and a couple others.

f1rocks
11-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Have we decided what cars we are running yet??

I'd like to download the mod we are going to race and start practicing.

Since the "owner" thinks the 79's suck, I'm pretty sure it won't be those. And since that is all I have loaded I'd like to get the right one loaded.

Who's server are we using?

Stack
11-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Have we decided what cars we are running yet??

I'd like to download the mod we are going to race and start practicing.

Since the "owner" thinks the 79's suck, I'm pretty sure it won't be those. And since that is all I have loaded I'd like to get the right one loaded.

Who's server are we using?

Hardly anyone voted... right now it's Spec Miata.

All you guys who voted on tracks, please head over to the vehicle choice thread and vote for what car we'll be running!!

f1rocks
11-20-2007, 04:50 PM
On a guess, I loaded the Open wheel BMW mod...it's not bad. I could handle a season in those. I like the slower open wheel aspect but I can learn to like any of them I suppose.

Stack
11-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Ok... came off my cheapskate/poor ass and gave a $5 donation to RFactor Central so I could download more than one track every 24hrs lol.

Briefly tested out almost all the tracks on the poll, and most are very well done. I'm sure all will be super fun. Most seemed to only have one version available, but some had multiple versions, so obviously we'll need to make sure we all have the same versions.

Only glitches I encountered was that Road Atlanta is missing some mesh file or something that popped up a warning when loading the track, but it still loaded and seemed to play fine (except the track surface was ultra-grainy looking.) When I first put Spa in the game folder, I did the wrong one and it crashed when trying to load the track... but after re-doing it, it worked fine. If anyone else has an issue with it, I'll try to explain what I did.

Summit Point, if we choose to include that one, could get frustrating VERY quickly. Seems the "sand" on the edge of basically the entire track is very grabby. You drop even a hint of wheel off and the car is either bogged down completely, or sent spinning across the track.

John... any word on the final "schedule"? :D

f1rocks
11-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Ok... came off my cheapskate/poor ass and gave a $5 donation to RFactor Central so I could download more than one track every 24hrs lol.
:D

You realize that if you pick a mirror server without the little logo beside it you can download all day....

I'm not worried about the schedule, just tell us WHAT CARS we are going to run so I can get some setups!!!

Stack
11-21-2007, 12:49 PM
You realize that if you pick a mirror server without the little logo beside it you can download all day....

I'm not worried about the schedule, just tell us WHAT CARS we are going to run so I can get some setups!!!

Hmm... it appeared to me that no matter which one I tried, I was being blocked in some way. (Rapidshare notwithstanding, nothing rapid about that at all unless you fork over some dough :miffed:)

I didn't mind really... valid or not, I feel slightly more confident the file won't be corrupt or harmful with it coming from RFC.

jstecher
11-22-2007, 01:26 AM
I am working on laying out the final schedule here while of course fixing my father/mothers computer once again...I think its a Thanksgiving tradition now.

Stack if you have downloaded some of the tracks already that is excellent and I will have you upload them to my trackpedia ftp because I want to have everyone get them from here so we are all on the same version as the year goes on.

If anyone downloaded any of the track above let me know if you have the install files and I will send you the information to ftp it up to us.

Schedule coming soon.

jstecher
11-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Formula BMW.

f1rocks
11-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Excellent!!

The server, RH1 running on the web right now. Just go to the connect screen in the bottom left corner and find RH1. It's running Birmingham (Barber) Long. The password is "sparkplug"

I'm running high 1:28's for a reference but there's a lot left in the car.

mrepka
11-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Plenty of setup options to play with as well. I found the default setup all together to "pushy" and have started playing with all the little gizmos.

Stack
11-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Excellent!!

The server, RH1 running on the web right now. Just go to the connect screen in the bottom left corner and find RH1. It's running Birmingham (Barber) Long. The password is "sparkplug"

I'm running high 1:28's for a reference but there's a lot left in the car.

Good to know I'm "in the game" with a 1:29 after some tweaks and a dozen or so laps :D

I'm very excited about this! :clap:

jstecher
11-22-2007, 10:48 AM
List ordered list of tracks for this season is going to be:

Brands Hatch
USGP
Road Atlanta
Lime Rock
Watkins Glen
Mosport
Barber
Spa
Mid-Ohio
VIR
Laguna Seca
Championship Decider: Road America

Start off with flying the cars to Europe for the start of the season starting everyone out on a track that no one has driven in real life. Then we come back to the Indy home land (Future home of the SCCA runoffs!) and move into the meat of the season.

Really looking forward to this guys. Not happy I am sitting at home not getting any practice. I will put dates by the tracks here tonight. Just didnt get time to do it before now.

Also I am going to throw in a prize from Trackpedia for the top 3 finishers. :)

jstecher
11-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Plenty of setup options to play with as well. I found the default setup all together to "pushy" and have started playing with all the little gizmos.

Tire pressures are the biggest thing to play with I found as well as playing with the weight balance. I actually setup for a little push and then can trail brake to rotate the thing. I try to add wing in a consistent manner cause I cant get it to balance the car right otherwise (I just am not smart enough).

My best at Barber is a 1:27.85 during a race I ran there. You have to get the gearing right more than anything for that track.

f1rocks
11-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Low 1:27's the car really likes wings around 5. Drop the ride height too.

mrepka
11-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Still adjusting, camber, tire pressures, brake bias, wings.. 126.2 on light tanks

Ran a race with 40 other cars.. damn the AI is aggressive :)

jstecher
11-22-2007, 10:54 PM
I hate you all already since I can't be playing the damn game! :) 1:26.2 is fast Mark...damn best I have seen run at the track was a 1:26.9 from a capture someone had.

I need to get back to Minnesota to start practicing.

jstecher
11-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Register here http://www.trackpedia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3522