PDA

View Full Version : quick clip from IT Fest @ MidO

kbrew8991
09-07-2007, 03:35 PM
http://www.ruckracing.com/ITF07V/KevinITF07.mpg

ouch. It was chalked up as a racing incident, but I'm not sure how. Seems like a dive-bomb to me. Teach me racers...

Skeen
09-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, I'd tend to say it was the passing car's fault (car A), but the middle car (car B) did go out wide so far that he couldn't really expect to come back and slam the door without some trouble. Remember that you shouldn't always insist on your right to the line. He (B) was ahead, but it would've been smart to slowly squeeze A (leaving 1/2 car width) because B would've had the inside line into the next corner.

jstecher
09-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Agree with Mike here. (A)'s fault as you can see he did not have the pass clean as the other car is always in front and can be seen in the video. I don't like the way (B) slammed down because he should have known if someone was there but at the same time that should be a pretty nasty blind spot for him at the same time. Rules are passing driver has to insure the pass is possible and can be completed before committing.

Sterling Doc
09-08-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm going to take a dissenting opinion here.

Watch the video closely before the point of contact. Car B leaves LOTS of room, car A takes a much better line and gets a run going up on the inside in Madness (T7, I think), moving to that space with plenty of room at that point. He does get his front wheels at least to car B's driver door, with his car under good control. *At that point*, he has a right to that line/space (by NASA rules). Yes, when they contacted, car A hits Car B's quarter rear quarter panel, which looks bad. It's clear on the tape however, that car A got out of the gas and on the brakes before impact, when he saw Car B making the kamakaze dive toward the apex. Even though car A had a right to be there, he made and effort to avoid contact, which car B did not. In fact, I'm pretty sure Car B didn't know he was there, or he wouldn't have shut the door *that* hard. Car B took a very slow/poor line - throwing away a fast corner for a slow one (which is why Car A made up so much time on him there) which leads me to believe he's an inexperienced driver (conjecture here on my part). Car A would have completed the pass under good control, *if* he was left the racing room he had earned at that point. Therefore, IMO fault goes to car B. (No contingency money for you!)

Skeen
09-08-2007, 12:57 PM
IF car A had made it halfway alongside then it would be car b's fault, but I don't believe he ever did. I don't think car A slowed any more than would be normal for that corner (it doesn't look to me like he slammed on the brakes trying to avoid contact) and car B was clearly ahead the whole time.

As you can see, this incident is pretty hard to cast blame, which I'm sure is why it was deemed a "racing incident."

Also, as an aside, the CRX at the beginning made a textbook bad pass. You never want to be that far inside leaving so much space between yourself and the car you are passing. Hold them to the outside until you can rejoin "the line" so they can't try the repass on exit. Being that far inside also makes it difficult for the car being passed to see where you are.

Sterling Doc
09-08-2007, 02:51 PM
It is a tough angle to see exactly how far alongside he was, and I do see some blame on both sides. I still think he got his front wheel to the drivers door, but it's close. He clearly was not ahead of the other car, but by NASA rules, you have a right to the line when your front wheel is at their driver's door, provided you have control of your car at that point. I'm not sure what PCA rules are in this regard.

Looking at the video again car B may have been off line in part due to the bad pass from the CRX (good points made on that pass - it was pretty poor).