View Full Version : Why Safety Equipment should be your #1 Priority

JimLill
09-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Spec Miata Saturday race @ WGI 9/16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dIX6Wei2d4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMDqYFrNxPQ

billy
09-19-2006, 07:27 PM
You got my vote, I spent a lot of money last year on this as my first mods rather than the usual PSS9 or air box crap.

HPDE or not, you're going fast and crashing hurts as much whether you're in HPDE or racing.

jstecher
09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Yep just posted these videos in the other thread you have as well. I will for sure have a HANS next year before wheel to wheel without a doubt. I am amazed at how much that original black car cooked that turn and got grabbed by the tirewall.

sbranda
09-20-2006, 11:16 AM
I'd say that's a pretty good case for track insurnace as well. One car messes up, 2 guys who didn't make a mistake pay for it.

I'd like to see the telemetry on the black car and the red one right behind him. Their entry speed looked about the same and they hit the same apex then the black car just went completely off line on the exit. Maybe he was looking at the wall instead of the track ahead of him.

billy
09-20-2006, 11:19 AM
The black car was in trouble way before apex, it wiggles around quiet a bit way before he hits. This is what happens when driving on the limit, you can do nothing except hit. Can't lift, can't brake, can't adjust line, you're screwed. Drive at 80% and get track insurance anyway.

JimLill
09-20-2006, 11:34 AM
The black car was in trouble way before apex, it wiggles around quiet a bit way before he hits. This is what happens when driving on the limit, you can do nothing except hit. Can't lift, can't brake, can't adjust line, you're screwed. Drive at 80% and get track insurance anyway.

I haven't got the story yet on how he got loose... but this was a full race and 80% can be like parking it... track insurance... for racing.... don't think that exists.

The driver, Stephen Pope, is no newbie BTW... been racing 3-4 years.

Stack
09-20-2006, 12:46 PM
track insurance... for racing.... don't think that exists.

I found a few that insured historic and exotics... even for racing events. Probably not cost-effective on a car you can replace for less than 10K though

Of course... the HPDE insurance companies seem to be falling by the wayside as well... American Collectors is no longer offering HPDE insurance. We found a recent one that seems to be for PCA members only, is from Canada, and you're screwed if the company goes under while owing you a claim... they aren't bound by US insurance laws.

Lobo6
09-20-2006, 01:02 PM
I'd say that's a pretty good case for track insurnace as well. One car messes up, 2 guys who didn't make a mistake pay for it.

I'd like to see the telemetry on the black car and the red one right behind him. Their entry speed looked about the same and they hit the same apex then the black car just went completely off line on the exit. Maybe he was looking at the wall instead of the track ahead of him.

Ocular steering, your car will go where you are looking. I don't look at walls.

Last I heard you could get track insurance for racing but it is not cheap. You have do the numbers. What is your car worth? With the premiuns, agreed upon value and usually a 20% deductable it doesn't make sense for a lot of people. If I had a cup car yes, but with the RSA I work without a net.

The Canadian company Stack referred to is reputable (name escapes me at the moment) for DE insurance. I know 2 people who had to file a claim and had no problem.

Stack
09-20-2006, 01:13 PM
The Canadian company Stack referred to is reputable (name escapes me at the moment) for DE insurance. I know 2 people who had to file a claim and had no problem.

I suppose it can't hurt... Laruel is the company... and FWIW one of our instructors crunched up a new GT3 at VIR this past weekend with BMW Club and all indications are that it will be covered

JimLill
09-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Was it HPDE or a timed event?

billy
09-20-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm with American and they have covered me for another year as a renewing customer but they aren't taking new policies this year. My cost was 600 USD for unlimited HPDE events with national clubs ONLY for 40k with 20% deductible.

billy
09-20-2006, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAKYNHP3RF4

Look at all the shuny spec miatas!

JimLill
09-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I wonder who the sanctioning body is at that Laguna race? Many of the cars have Calif. Street License plates....

jstecher
09-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I have looked at length around to find an insurance company for racing and there is nothing. Every company out there will insure everything up until the ignition is turned on and then its all on you.

The current one I have will cover HPDE, time trials, and quali but the race is not covered. However its only for my butt in the seat, anyone else and the car is not covered. It wasn't cheap as well.

billy
09-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Did you try laurel?

JimLill
09-27-2006, 06:14 AM
I know the pros have something they buy.... 20K and up

theInstructor
09-28-2006, 02:22 PM
I haven't got the story yet on how he got loose...

I was there but I dont really know what happened to car that tagged the tires. I heard the story from my friend who was driving the red car that t-boned him (not the camera car, but the one in front of the camera car). He was glad he was wearing his HANS.

I have a guess, I posted it here before, but it was only a guess, based on the conditions at the time, when it happened and watching the same videos you all saw. Still its only my opinion and you know what they say about them :)

John the Impaler read the miata drivers the riot act on Sunday and they were well behaved (it was a double weekend).

jstecher
09-28-2006, 04:39 PM
I'm just glad they all walked away perfectly fine. From my monitoring of the Miata boards I havent seen anything from the main driver and I would love to hear if it was red mist or what...looks like it but I dont want to lay blame on anyone when it could have been mechanical as well.

theInstructor
09-28-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm just glad they all walked away perfectly fine.

they didn't -- the driver that hit the tires and one other (not sure who) were both transported to the hospital. One had a broken collarbone and the other some broken ribs.

My friend walked away but its the second spec miata he's written off.

Its odd that the incident at WGI wasn't the kind of smash-up that SM guys are infamous for -- I mean as far as anyone knows there was no car to car contact until after the first car hit the wall.

I edited my previous msg -- be sure to read it again!

jstecher
09-29-2006, 12:29 AM
I mean that they walked away with a few minor injuries instead of some serious injuries.

I had heard collarbone but did not hear about the guys ribs. Looking at how hard the first guy was hit I expected worse.

JimLill
09-29-2006, 09:46 AM
John the Impaler read the miata drivers the riot act on Sunday and they were well behaved (it was a double weekend).

I know John, I bought my ITB VW from him....

Here's his analysis:

"he was having a minor wiggle at the apex, then the car washing out a bit. He
just ran it wide...and there ain't no room to run it wide at T11."

theInstructor
09-29-2006, 10:04 AM
I know John, I bought my ITB VW from him....

I figured you would

I think he was glad he was driving the SRF that weekend. I suspect he would have been in the middle of that melee too